Rust prevention

Squareandsharp

I gave up the idea of having everything out where it can be seen years ago.  Now, everything is stored in watertight boxes, and I haven't had a single rust issue since.  This is an old picture. Since then, the organization has gotten better, and larger, and long since been out of that house.post-14184-0-52056400-1376003080_thumb.jpg

I use jatoba oil, anti moisture packets in my tool chest, Zerust Vapor Capsule Rust Protactant in my tool cabinet, and I also have a climate controlled shop. Probably overkill but in MN I have found rust to be an issue so a little extra care has worked for me.

Actually, yes. Rust is a pretty good inhibitor of further rust. It pokes everyone's ocd, but I don't try to REMOVE the minor rust that develops on a clean tool. Don't let it become scaley, of course, but just wipe away anything loose, and wax what remains. So long as it doesn't interfere with a tool's operation, the patina works better to prevent more rust than anything I've tried.