anybody here send me 2 logs to ID ?

phinds

I have 2 small logs (or large branches) that I'm supposed to ID. I have a vague recollection of having received them in the mail but due to an apparent episode of early onset senility (or possibly just carelessness), I can't recall who they are from. Also, I can't find any record of having written down who they are from and I attribute that to likely being due to an episode of late onset terminal stupidity.

If they're yours, let me know.

Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phinds said:

I have 2 small logs (or large branches) that I'm supposed to ID. I have a vague recollection of having received them in the mail but due to an apparent episode of early onset senility (or possibly just carelessness), I can't recall who they are from. Also, I can't find any record of having written down who they are from and I attribute that to likely being due to an episode of late onset terminal stupidity.

If they're yours, let me know.

Thanks

Hi Paul,

They are those two Tamarix spp. samples that we discussed.

Ah Ha !  Thanks Dave. I had checked them for coffee tree and honey locust because I'd been having discussion about those on two different forums but they aren't either one (uh ... you already knew that didn't you). Because of that, I checked both forums for discussions around honey locust and coffee tree but couldn't find anyone having sent me anything. Forgot all about the tamarix. Senior moment, I guess.

Now that I'm sure where they came from I'll process them. Didn't want to cut them up 'cause I recently made a mistake and forgot that a piece of jucaro was a loner not a contribution and had to return the guy's wood in two pieces along w/ some extras by way of apology.

I'll post pics when done.

29 minutes ago, phinds said:

Ah Ha !  Thanks Dave.

Glad to help out.

I should remind you that I sprayed the ends of the samples with shellac to slow the checking, so you'll have to slice off a half inch or so to get an accurate look at the end grain.

Dave, I've got them processed (and will get pics up here eventually) and two questions have come up, one from me and one from a friend of mine.

Me: were these harvested some time ago or recently? They seem seasoned and the smaller pieces I cut them into have not cracked at all.

Friend: was this an evergreen tamarisk? Apparently that helps narrow down the species. Do you happen to KNOW which species? I assume not since you've referred to them as Tamarix spp.

THanks,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 11:34 AM, phinds said:

Me: were these harvested some time ago or recently? They seem seasoned and the smaller pieces I cut them into have not cracked at all.

Friend: was this an evergreen tamarisk? Apparently that helps narrow down the species. Do you happen to KNOW which species? I assume not since you've referred to them as Tamarix spp.

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry for the delay in my reply.

I don't know the species.

I cut the samples recently. The Tammy in the area are not evergreen. There were no leaves on any of the plants at that time. It was too early in the season.

I assumed that the tree I cut was alive, but that may not be so. It is quite possible that the tamarisk beetle was introduced into the area and that the shrubs are standing but dead.

Another possibility is that I cut a dead trunk on a multi-stemmed plant. The way the tamarisk grows it could be alive but have many dead branches in the shrub.

If you like, the next time I'm in the area I can visit the shrub to see if it has leafed out.

A study of stream recovery after tamarisk removal is ongoing in the area (which is the San Rafael River near Hatt Ranch). They identify the species as Tamarix ramosissima.