Sanding to repaint

Seth Clayton

Hi all! What's the best/quickest/easiest way to strip off old paint from outdoor projects that need freshening up? This isn't fine furniture, just some 4x4's and 2x4's. I saw the Wagner Paint Eater at Lowe's. Is that worth getting? I have a plain Bosch ROS, so I'm not sure I really need another tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's either use amps or elbows . A scrub with a maroon Scotch bride pad by hand might be all you need unless you have lots of chipping and peeling paint. I've never even seen that Wagner tool but the video makes it look pretty useful if you have a lot of surface that's peeling.

Depending on the age of the exterior work be careful of lead paint chips !

You can get those same paint-stripper pads for your existing drill or grinder, no need for the Wagner. I've found they can gum up on wood though, much better for automotive and metal stripping. I usually start with a decent steel scraper, and get anything loose off. You can also take a wire wheel to it if you aren't that concerned with texture. If you're painting it again, all you need to do is knock off the loose stuff, and give it a quick scuff with some low-grit sandpaper.

As Steve mentioned, be careful with lead.

• 1 month later...

IMG_5307.PNG

Our farrier uses this tool to "finish" his shoeing job on our horses. The sanding drum is about 4" long, and the metal end gives him a handle for a second hand to add pressure. Has anyone seen something like this, but with wire bristles instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk