Jet table saws

molinero

Hello, all!

When I began my job (technical director for a school theater), I inherited a scene shop that was in total disarray and largely in disrepair. One of my main concerns is an older model Jet table saw (I don't have the model at the moment - I'm at home).

The fence for this table saw is rather frustrating. It routinely slips at least 1/8" when I clamp it down. Can this be repaired, or do I need a new fence?

Additionally, it has a wooden extension to the metal surface, extending a good 2 feet to the right. The fence rails also extend this far and it has support legs, so I'm fairly sure this is an original piece (or at least a replacement). I'm guessing that this means it was designed for crosscuts? I've never seen a table saw like this in a theater's scene shop before.

Thoughts?

I don't know about the fence - it could be a simple adjustment, or a simple fix, or it could be unrepairable. I'd start by getting the model number and getting the manual off the web.

The extension table you describe is pretty common. It allows you to work with wider boards and sheet goods. It's not just for cross-cutting - for example, if you wanted to accurately "rip" a 4'x8' sheet of plywood down to 46" x 8', you'd need to move the fence 46" away from the blade. When doing a cut like this, a single person doesn't have long enough arms to keep the piece against the fence while supporting it and pushing it through. You need featherboards to hold the piece against the fence and against the table. Board buddies are good for this specific situation.

There's a Guild Video of Marc ripping a 4'x8' sheet of plywood on the tablesaw. Jump to 11:37.

Two thoughts; <BR>You should be able to find the manual on the Jet/Powermatic site. The Jet machines has a silver label with the model and serieal number. The manual will show the possible adjustments for the fence-lock lever.<BR><BR>In my personal experience, I seem to adjust the fence weekly. I replace the fence lock level washers once a year when I go through the shop for my annual tool maintenance. I see this task as normal a maintenance item. The sliders wear out. <BR><BR>Yes, over the years I have become somewhat of a machinist.<BR><BR>The most extreme solution is to buy a replacement fence. More than likely you need a lock lever pressure plate.<BR><BR>The second notion commes from a discussion I had here in Portland Oregon the owner of a local company that sells woodworker tools. He mentioned that he was selling a lot of Sawstop table saws to the local schools. These schools are replacing the older table saws with the saftey equiped Sawstops saws. It seems that there is a noticable insurance benefit for the schools. I also think I remember him saying there is an educator discount.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Bobbie

Hello, all!

When I began my job (technical director for a school theater), I inherited a scene shop that was in total disarray and largely in disrepair. One of my main concerns is an older model Jet table saw (I don't have the model at the moment - I'm at home).

The fence for this table saw is rather frustrating. It routinely slips at least 1/8" when I clamp it down. Can this be repaired, or do I need a new fence?

Additionally, it has a wooden extension to the metal surface, extending a good 2 feet to the right. The fence rails also extend this far and it has support legs, so I'm fairly sure this is an original piece (or at least a replacement). I'm guessing that this means it was designed for crosscuts? I've never seen a table saw like this in a theater's scene shop before.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a regular Jet contractor saw to me. I have had one since they first turned light blue. The fence probably just has shavings under it. Call a local dealer and ask his advice. There is probably nothing wrong with it. It might just need some loving on it.