Shop Design - Dust Collection

Ibboykin

One more thing to keep in mind...

You can put together the best DC system on the planet that could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch...but if your machines' ports are improperly engineered (which most are) they're going to require some modifications to make them capable of efficient DC.  A DC is only as efficient as its weakest link, and that's usually at the source.

• Like 1

My novice 2 cents

The more I learn about the field and the equipment (plus looking at the shops of others around here) this is to me a 2-part solution. You'll want to (1) collect all the large and medium stuff into a bucket or bag and also (2) keep the air clean.

This might be done with a one-piece solution such as the Laguna C Flux. $1,099. But its filter only gets what comes into the system. What goes into the air by escaping the suction system is still out there. That's part 2. Perhaps a hanging air filtration system (Grizzly & Jet, with both being under $400) would complete the solution. Add in the duct work and you're in the $2K neighborhood. And don't forget to wear a quality respirator.

At least that's my dream dust/stuff collection system. Maybe in a couple of years ...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eric. said:

One more thing to keep in mind...

You can put together the best DC system on the planet that could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch...but if your machines' ports are improperly engineered (which most are) they're going to require some modifications to make them capable of efficient DC.  A DC is only as efficient as its weakest link, and that's usually at the source.

I don't remember having a single machine that I didn't modify some sort of way for dust collection.  Most built in ports are undersized to suit me.

• Like 1