Dull planer knives = increased snipe???

Nick2cd

It seems like all of a sudden, i have been getting a lot snipe on just about every cut i make with my planer. every once in a while was fairly common, but it's getting way too regular for my liking. could this be caused by dull knives? it has also been around 20-30 degrees in my shop lately. could this play into it?

I would think that IS possible, as a large reason for snipe is the the knives pulling the board upward before the outter feed rollers are engaged. Your tables may have gone out of alignment, also. I don't think the temperature would affect the performance, though.

Nick,

Yes, I've found that dull blades can cause snipe. If the board's feed rate slows or it stops feeding, the bed needs to be waxed and the feed rollers likely need to be cleaned.

yeah, im definitely experiencing some stall during feeding unless i have it set to take a bigger bite than i normally do.

what is the best way to clean the rollers? do i need to completely remove them? what should i clean them with?

what is the best way to clean the rollers? do i need to completely remove them? what should i clean them with?

There is no easy way to clean the rollers. I raise the planer to the highest cutting depth, then get under there (with the machine unplugged, of course) and use a nylon brush to scrub the rollers using mineral spirits if there is pitch.