Grizzly Bandsaws (anniversary editions)

bbaude

I see Grizzly dropped the price on their Anniversary edition bandsaws.  I'm in dire need of one for my home shop.  What do people think of the 14" one?  -> http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0555LANV?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

For another $300, you can jump the 17". Is there a compelling reason to ?

I only own the 14" LANV, and like Dave, I have experienced the same problem with tensioning the blade. Looks like the 17" has a different tensioning mechanism? @TIODS might be able to chime in on that aspect.

It seems to cut well - I put a Timberwolf resaw blade on it and that thing is pretty awesome. Haven't had any drift issues or bogging. It happily *zingzingzingzingzingzingzing*'s (that's my bandsaw impression) through the material.

Fence is a cheap aluminum one, but it works OK. Incra it aint.

I do regret not purchasing the riser block kit for the 14" to push the resaw size up to 12" - by default, if you have a board that is over 6" tall you are out of luck. Riser kit is about 80-90 bucks. I'd imagine the 17" will get you some more resaw capacity out of the gate.

• Like 1

I own the 14" and would absolutely not buy it again. Major problems being catostrophic failure of the tension mechanism which grizzly dragged their feet on fixing, poor hold on settings, no thought put to dust collection and terrible CS sealed the deal for me.

37 minutes ago, bbaude said:

@TIODS any comment on the tensioning ?

Unlike some of the others, I haven't had any issues with the tensioning.  The 14" was a little finicky to set up but, once set, there were no issues.  I've only changed the blade twice on the 17" and there were no issues at all.

You're going to get lemons regardless of the manufacturer. 

Now, if your budget allows, I'd seriously consider the Laguna 1412.  I've used @Chet K's quite a bit and it's a much nicer saw than the Grizz.

3 hours ago, bbaude said:

I see Grizzly dropped the price on their Anniversary edition bandsaws.  I'm in dire need of one for my home shop.  What do people think of the 14" one?  -> http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0555LANV?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

For another $300, you can jump the 17". Is there a compelling reason to ?

Power and capacity.  I have the 17" and it has done nothing but work well since I got it.  Once aligned it stays put.  I have no drift and change blades with impunity.  Mine is a 'tweener' model with cast iron wheel but, stamped trunnions with hardened teeth.  I have a small 10" that I use for curvy stuff.  I think it is 1/5 HP.  Dad has a 14" Delta with a 1HP motor and a G0513X2 as well so I do have something to compare with.