Pittsburgh Area?

DeanJackson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

30 miles east-Latrobe/Derry area. anyone know of any local sawmills that kiln dry their stock?

You could try emailing someone at Western PA Woodworkers and asking if they know anyone. wpwoodworkers.org

I think several of them use Don's Custom Milling, linked from their site, for wood, although he may air dry everything he has, not sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also in Pittsburgh, (Blackridge: near Churchill.)

I met Don Phillips by buying some lumber and a shaper from him via craigslist. Extremely nice guy, an asset to the business. I got a tour of his shop and he had some very impressive timber on display. He has a price list available on request and they looked very reasonable to me.

Also in Pittsburgh, (Blackridge: near Churchill.)

I met Don Phillips by buying some lumber and a shaper from him via craigslist. Extremely nice guy, an asset to the business. I got a tour of his shop and he had some very impressive timber on display. He has a price list available on request and they looked very reasonable to me.

He's out of maple at the moment, but has some phenomenal cherry. (The cherry looks *great* as a bookshelf, and he has quite a bit more.)

• 3 months later...

I joined the forum recently and also live in the Pittsburgh area, 20 minutes west of the city.

Welcome!

There's actually a good woodworking school west of the city a ways, GNA Woodworks/Di Legno Wood Supply in McKee's Rocks. http://dlws.com/

I've taken the intro to woodworking, which was mostly an intro to hand tools, and also took the hands-on finishing course. Would recommend both.

Welcome!

There's actually a good woodworking school west of the city a ways, GNA Woodworks/Di Legno Wood Supply in McKee's Rocks. http://dlws.com/

I've taken the intro to woodworking, which was mostly an intro to hand tools, and also took the hands-on finishing course. Would recommend both.

I've been wanting to learn a bit more about DLWS and thought about the classes a bit. It would be nice to stop by some day to get a better feel for the place. Do they do any walk in business for tools or are they strictly mail order?

I've been wanting to learn a bit more about DLWS and thought about the classes a bit. It would be nice to stop by some day to get a better feel for the place. Do they do any walk in business for tools or are they strictly mail order?

The stock for the website is in a different location than the woodshop itself, to save some money; if you're taking classes, it's convenient to ask Dante (the owner) to just bring you x,y, and z the next week. If you're not taking classes, easiest just to mail order. Their prices are competitive on what they sell, and some of their items are occasionally "cheapest you'll find anywhere".

Send them an email, ask about stopping in to see the shop and bullshit about the classes for awhile, to see if they're a fit for ya. contactus@dilegnosupply.com, and 412-331-1236 if anyone's around the phone.

The stock for the website is in a different location than the woodshop itself, to save some money; if you're taking classes, it's convenient to ask Dante (the owner) to just bring you x,y, and z the next week. If you're not taking classes, easiest just to mail order. Their prices are competitive on what they sell, and some of their items are occasionally "cheapest you'll find anywhere".

Send them an email, ask about stopping in to see the shop and bullshit about the classes for awhile, to see if they're a fit for ya. contactus@dilegnosupply.com, and 412-331-1236 if anyone's around the phone.

That's good info to know and it's always nice to buy local when ever possible. I'll have to look for a chance to stop by and talk about the classes. Seeing the place should motivate me more to overcome my reluctance for making time commitments.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Any other hardwood suppliers you guys use? I am having trouble finding rough cut cherry. I usually use The Hardwood Emporium in West elizabeth. But for whatever reason they stopped getting shipments of rouch cut wood in.

I used to get hardwoods from DSI in Carnegie but then they stopped stocking 4/4 rough material. Now you have to order it and it comes surfaced to 15/16. I've been dealing with Mars Lumber for all hardwoods and plywoods. They stock everything local and exotic and you can buy what you need - no min. orders.

By the way,

I'm new to this forum so hello to all fellow Pittsburghers.

Brian

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone. Im from just southwest of pgh.

I have taken a couple classes from Dante at GNA woodworks. Dante is awesome and goes out of his way to make sure you are getting the most from his classes.

Also a big fan of the woodwhisperer.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know of a few places to find hardwood? I used to go to west elizabeth lumber but when I went there today I found they were bought out and no longer sale retail. I have heard of Mars but everytime I call I get an answering machine...Any other saw mills or hardwood dealers around?

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey all,

I'm from Butler, Pa. I'm somewhat new to woodworking and really haven't bought much lumber yet. I use Caspar Ball on Renfrew Rd. he is a retired woodshop teacher and has been supplying lumber to many of the schools in western PA. I don't know if he carries exotics, but for domestic he will have what you want. I haven't bought from anyone else except Mars Lumber and Caspar beats them in price every time. I also needed baltic birch and found that DSI in Carnegie is cheaper than Mars Lumber. If anyone is up for a hookup to BS about woodworking, I'd love to hear from ya. I'm anxious to learn as much as I can. I'm obsessed with this hobby.

Jim

jg2259@hotmail.com