Hand tool display cabinet!!

Griff

Hey guys,

Sorry if I bother you guys with all the questions as you are the only woodworkers I can contact I don't have any woodworker friends in my area. I am currently in the design stages of making a hand tool cabinet. I am a collector of hand planes, antique wooden levels, small pocket levels, hand saws, and antique tri squares and squares. I have a saw till for my hand saws I will be putting two Japanese pull saws in my cabinet. But my question is I'm really struggling on the design of the cabinet. I want something to display my hand plane collection which is pretty big maybe 25 max I would say 10-12 of those are block planes which is my favorite. I have Stanley's No. 2-No.8 a Stanley no. 55 a few I have two of the same plane Corrugated and smooth bottom. I'm not as concerned with those design wise. I would really like ideas on how to display my pocket levels I have 12 total so far. I'm just lost on design ideas I've checked Pinterest, google, YouTube for design ideas. I really like rob cosmans tool cabinet but that's just a little big. If I could fit my pocket levels hand planes squares and other hand tools I would be happy. Just chime in with design ideas of any kind and if you could help with the pocket level design part I would greatly appreciate it. I just don't want to put the pocket levels on a shelf I want something a little more unique. Thanks guys! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 6:47 PM, Griff said:

Hey guys,

Sorry if I bother you guys with all the questions as you are the only woodworkers I can contact I don't have any woodworker friends in my area. I am currently in the design stages of making a hand tool cabinet. I am a collector of hand planes, antique wooden levels, small pocket levels, hand saws, and antique tri squares and squares. I have a saw till for my hand saws I will be putting two Japanese pull saws in my cabinet. But my question is I'm really struggling on the design of the cabinet. I want something to display my hand plane collection which is pretty big maybe 25 max I would say 10-12 of those are block planes which is my favorite. I have Stanley's No. 2-No.8 a Stanley no. 55 a few I have two of the same plane Corrugated and smooth bottom. I'm not as concerned with those design wise. I would really like ideas on how to display my pocket levels I have 12 total so far. I'm just lost on design ideas I've checked Pinterest, google, YouTube for design ideas. I really like rob cosmans tool cabinet but that's just a little big. If I could fit my pocket levels hand planes squares and other hand tools I would be happy. Just chime in with design ideas of any kind and if you could help with the pocket level design part I would greatly appreciate it. I just don't want to put the pocket levels on a shelf I want something a little more unique. Thanks guys! 

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but do you use these tools? Or are you just a collector?

Your form and function will vary if you use but, also want to display your tools versus simply display them.  For display only a sealed cabinet with glass panels for viewing felt (or other) gaskets for dust control and possible some lighting come into play.

For use and display, the lower portion of my till would not be what you are after.  This area just efficiently stores my smaller planes and presents the tote for picking up and putting back.  The upper area stores the larger planes vertically and (mostly) they hang from their knobs from para-cord.  The planes in this area are pretty much on display and readily available for use.  The whole rig though is built for function and uses ply and pegboard which I would not use if I wanted to focus on the 'display' part of the function.