Grizzly Table Saw and clearance quest.

puffin

I have two questions. First regarding Grizzly's G0715P Polar Bear Series Hybrid table saw Link. The text says its a Hybrid saw, but I'm not sure why. It appears to be a cabinet say in every meaningfully. The only thing I can think of that would make it a "hybrid saw" rather than a cabinet saw is the power. Its only 2HP and can be converted to 110v.

I'd love to get your opinions on this. It seems like a good deal for what appears to be a very nice table saw.

Also, the question of clearance. How much space do you need around a table saw. I'm in the process of looking for a house, one of the things I'm looking at in these houses it where I could put a workshop, (basement, garage, etc...) I'm just trying to figure out how much space I'd need to be able to have something like that grizzly saw or maybe a 3hp cabinet saw.

I may be wrong, but I think it works like this:

• Cabinet saw: blade assembly is supported by trunnions attached to cabinet with motor in the cabinet
  • Contractor saw: blade assembly is supported by trunnions attached to table with motor hanging out the back.
  • Hybrid saw: blade assembly is supported by trunnions attached to table with motor in the cabinet

As far as size is concerned, take the dimensions of the largest thing you can cut, in the orientation you are going to cut it. you need enough space in front of the table, and enough space behind the table, and if the piece is wider than the table, you need enough space on either side.

If you want to cut 4x8 sheets of plywood in half, you need 4 feet on both sides of the blade (to cut into two 4x4 squares), and you need 8 feet in front and behind (to cut into two 2x8 rectangles). If you want to rip a 10' board, you need 10' in front and behind. Plus, some room for you to stand holding the piece.

I own alot of Grizzly equipment and have very good luck with it. Whenever I have a question concerning one of their products that I'm considering buying, I give them a call. They are ALWAYS friendly and knowledgeable.

Here's their phone number: Phone Orders & Customer Service: U.S. 1-800-523-4777

Hope this helps.

I may be wrong, but I think it works like this:

• Cabinet saw: blade assembly is supported by trunnions attached to cabinet with motor in the cabinet
  • Contractor saw: blade assembly is supported by trunnions attached to table with motor hanging out the back.
  • Hybrid saw: blade assembly is supported by trunnions attached to table with motor in the cabinet

As far as size is concerned, take the dimensions of the largest thing you can cut, in the orientation you are going to cut it. you need enough space in front of the table, and enough space behind the table, and if the piece is wider than the table, you need enough space on either side.

If you want to cut 4x8 sheets of plywood in half, you need 4 feet on both sides of the blade (to cut into two 4x4 squares), and you need 8 feet in front and behind (to cut into two 2x8 rectangles). If you want to rip a 10' board, you need 10' in front and behind. Plus, some room for you to stand holding the piece.

Beechwood Chip,

That is my understanding of Hybrid Saw too. That and power. They are typically less than 3 HP.

I have two questions. First regarding Grizzly's G0715P Polar Bear Series Hybrid table saw Link. The text says its a Hybrid saw, but I'm not sure why. It appears to be a cabinet say in every meaningfully. The only thing I can think of that would make it a "hybrid saw" rather than a cabinet saw is the power. Its only 2HP and can be converted to 110v.

I'd love to get your opinions on this. It seems like a good deal for what appears to be a very nice table saw.

Also, the question of clearance. How much space do you need around a table saw. I'm in the process of looking for a house, one of the things I'm looking at in these houses it where I could put a workshop, (basement, garage, etc...) I'm just trying to figure out how much space I'd need to be able to have something like that grizzly saw or maybe a 3hp cabinet saw.

Pop WW has a review of this in the latest issue. One comment I remember, is that it uses a very thin insert, making making a zero-clearance insert yourself tricky. Otherwise they were somewhat favorable.

The lines between cabinet saws and hybrids have blurred a bit in recent years for sure....there's really no set definition that I know. Since moving the motor from hanging off the back to inside the enclosure is one of the most significant changes, I consider that to be a must in a hybrid. They all tend to have the standard 27" deep table with 10 or 12" wings. From there, duty rating is about the only other common thread....a hybrid is typically rated for home shop duty as opposed to the industrial duty rating of the common 3hp cabinet saws. Several hybrids have offered cabinet mounted trunnions, some table mounted. Some have offered a full enclosure, some a splayed leg open bottom stand with a dust tray. Some have commercial Biesemeyer fences, some cheap aluminum. All that I know of are 2hp or less, but then again, Steel City offered a 3hp saw that had the same basic guts as their 1-3/4hp 35601 hybrid and Craftsman 22124, but they called it a cabinet saw.

cabinet saw:

g1023s_trunnion.jpg

hybrid with table mounted trunnions:

g0478_trunnions.jpg

contractor saw:

Ridgid_B3650_backSide.gif

Joe H,

If you go to this thread there is a bunch of information about Sketch Up models of tools... including table saws that include the area required for material clearences. You can easily sketch up a room that you might be considering as a shop inside a house that you may or may not buy. Then you can stick the tools in there in a virtual space and see if they fit.

Just a suggestion. I did it when my wife and I were having our home built. Not for my shop but for my kitchen. Sketch Up worked great and the kitchen came out exactly as expected.

If you don't know, a table saw with trunnions mounted to the base is preferable to a saw with trunnions mounted to the underside of the table for a couple reasons. This style make adjusting blade-to-table (miter slot) adjustment easy. Also, for maintenance, the table can simply be unbolted and removed. Also, the weight of the trunnions and motor and the rest of the works is not supported by the table.

The lines between cabinet saws and hybrids have blurred a bit in recent years for sure....there's really no set definition that I know. Since moving the motor from hanging off the back to inside the enclosure is one of the most significant changes, I consider that to be a must in a hybrid. They all tend to have the standard 27" deep table with 10 or 12" wings. From there, duty rating is about the only other common thread....a hybrid is typically rated for home shop duty as opposed to the industrial duty rating of the common 3hp cabinet saws. Several hybrids have offered cabinet mounted trunnions, some table mounted. Some have offered a full enclosure, some a splayed leg open bottom stand with a dust tray. Some have commercial Biesemeyer fences, some cheap aluminum. All that I know of are 2hp or less, but then again, Steel City offered a 3hp saw that had the same basic guts as their 1-3/4hp 35601 hybrid and Craftsman 22124, but they called it a cabinet saw.

cabinet saw:

g1023s_trunnion.jpg

hybrid with table mounted trunnions:

g0478_trunnions.jpg

contractor saw:

Ridgid_B3650_backSide.gif

Scott,

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't heard that some companies have hybrids with cabinet-mounted trunnions. I'll have to look into that. Can you provide any references to this? This is completely contrary to what I understood to define a hybrid from a cabinet saw.

Are most Hybrids 110V and Cabinet Saws 220V?

That's a function of the motor size. I think most hybrids can be wired either 110/220V, but most cabinet saws are 220V.