Do you use Gel Poly?

sonos1

I have a small shop and am looking for better easier process when it come to apply poly finishes. I like Gel Poly.

I have been applying this product using a dobber made from muslin cloth and lambs wool. I add mineral spirits to the dobber, squeeze out most of the excess, and then dip the dobber into the poly gel. I then wipe on a very thin coat. The poly application dries quickly and i can apply again soon. I wonder if naptha or some other product would improve this process?

Little Eqypt :D

Naptha is really only going to flash off faster and make the surface tack up sooner. So if that's what you are looking for, then naptha is a good choice. But if you want a little more working time, I would say stick with the mineral spirits.

I can't help you much in the way of application though. Never been a fan of gel polys. I think I need to practice with them more. :)

I have a small shop and am looking for better easier process when it come to apply poly finishes. I like Gel Poly.

I have been applying this product using a dobber made from muslin cloth and lambs wool. I add mineral spirits to the dobber, squeeze out most of the excess, and then dip the dobber into the poly gel. I then wipe on a very thin coat. The poly application dries quickly and i can apply again soon. I wonder if naptha or some other product would improve this process?

What size of items are you finishing? How complex are they, do they have tons of nooks and crannies, the English muffins of woodwork? Boxes, benches, bookcases or battleships?

I recently used gel poly for the first time, General Finishes' Gel Topcoat to be specific. Never felt a need to try gel before as I usually use a wiping varnish or spray water-based polyacrylic.

I liked it quite a bit. The main reason I used it was the project in question was a roll-top desk with lots of vertical flat surfaces that had to be finished in the room where it was going to live. The gel was much less prone to drips/runs on the vertical surfaces and comparatively low-odor for an oil-based product.

I applied it using foam brushes, straight from the can. No thinning at all.