Mortising Machine Chuck Repair/Replacement?

MisterDrow

So I got a second-hand mortising machine given to me and I'm trying to figure out if repairing it is more trouble than it's worth. It's a Central Machinery (HF) benchtop model and it had been accidentally knocked off of the bench in it's previous life. In the process, the chuck doesn't stay in and, as such, it doesn't drill properly. I have searched the interwebs for "mortising machine chuck replacement" and found lots on drill press chucks but nothing on mortising machines. I assume there really shouldn't be any difference... a chuck is a chuck and they both seem to look the same.

My question is, should I be looking at trying a new chuck or is the problem most likely in the receiving part of the upper housing? If the latter, I'll probably just scrap the project. I haven't been able to see anything wrong with that part but it's all enclosed so it's hard to say for certain.

Just now, QHC said:

If you are in Nebraska, I have a retired HF benchtop mortiser that you can have.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

That's awfully kind of you. I'm in SW Idaho, though... just barely too far of a jaunt to take you up on that :P

How is that mortiser, btw? It seems from what I have seen/heard that as long as you have sharp chisels, it does fairly well for a low-end machine.

It's ok making the mortise, the problem is the fence. Hard to make adjusments. But, for example, If you set it for 13/16 material, and always machine your material accurately to 13/16, always use a 3/8 chisel, and tenon in the center, then adjusments aren't needed once you get it set. I retired it for a Baileigh Industrial mortiser.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 5 years later...