D'oh!

thatCharlieDude

2 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I would turn/sand it out if I could. If you have really sharp turning tools you can probably turn it out but be careful it could easily catch again sanding may be the safer route.

I did a fast sand with 120 grit before I took the pictures. I'm a little worried because the of the depth of of it. I was using new carbide blades, I've heard epoxy can unexpectedly catch and throw divots like this. I was probably a small air pocket I didn't see.  Go figure. 

It looks to be less then a 1/16" deep if that's accurate you could sand that out in a minute. I've never made a bottle opener but I have made over a hundred acrylic pens etc and have had this happen a time or two. Do you have turners sandpaper? its thicker and about an 1" wide? works great if not fold some regular paper into an inch strip makes quick work of it.

here is a pic of the sand paper I use

IMG_2253.JPG.ac190a9143c305b5d16f463284708423.JPG

And I hold it with two hands (when not taking a picture) one top one bottom and sand on the back side of the part/mandrel. Hope this helps. 

IMG_2254.JPG.63d69b38a2fc90de4a8354e3d1efbd01.JPG

• Like 1

That's why those little boxes work so well.  Mine is identical, aside from being a little more beat up, it's hell to get the end of the roll out when it slips back inside.

If you fill it with epoxy, and then finish turning, there will be a spot  in the piece with out the 'glitter' that forms the rest of the casting.  It probably won't be noticeable unless you know it's there though. 

Resin based turning is very sketchy in my experience.  If you catch in wood, it will just gouge, but plastics and such can fracture, causing huge blow outs like this. 

Personally, I'd give a shot at filing it with a touch of 5 minute epoxy, and see where it goes.  You can always turn/sand back to where you are now and be no worse off.  Leaving it as a defect in the piece is not worth it IMO.  Either get a new blank, or move onto plan B which is a narrower handle. 

• Like 2

Nice job..... so.... ok highlight the fixes for us...  Theres about 8 different places I'd say you might have done the fix, but that's just the nature of that blank.  If we can't find the fix even knowing it's there, then you did a helluva job. 

And I think I'd like that style blank for an ice cream scoop.   It's way too girly for a guy to ever use that to open a beer bottle though :P

14 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

Nice job..... so.... ok highlight the fixes for us...  Theres about 8 different places I'd say you might have done the fix, but that's just the nature of that blank.  If we can't find the fix even knowing it's there, then you did a helluva job. 

And I think I'd like that style blank for an ice cream scoop.   It's way too girly for a guy to ever use that to open a beer bottle though :P

It's for my daughter who's a marine biologist. I think it kinda looks like sea glass? It's a christmas gift for her so I hope she likes it. And yeah it's a little girlie. 

The spot I filled is just below my finger. There looks like there's a slight scratch which is actually the place I filled.  I noticed in the pictures there's a white-ish spot, that's some sort of reflection from inside the resin, you can't see it in RL. 

IMG_20170914_083405.jpg

• Like 2