Crappy Lathe Stand

thatCharlieDude

*queue trumpets* 

I finished my first "big" woodworking project, a new lathe stand. I say it's my first because this is the first project in a long time that researched, planned, and prepared for instead of just whipping something out.

The old lathe stand was a black % decker workmate with an old wooden desktop that I had modified to clamp into the workmate. It worked fine but it was a little too wide and a little short. I have a garage workshop and I wanted something narrower with casters so I could roll it out of the way to get my car in the garage. Before it would take me about 15-20 minutes to break down the workshop to clear room for the car now it should be half that time. 

I'm already creating a list for crappy lathe stand 2.0. I messed up cutting with the legs and I should have cut and attached them differently. I wanted to mount the casters on the inside of the legs but I put the shelf too low so the casters won't fit. 

But overall I'm happy with it and I think I'll get some use out of it before I'm ready to build the next version. I used some new tools for this project and learned some new skills. I bought a table saw even though I could have used my circular saw for it. Had fun playing with the casters. 

IMG_20170925_075118.jpg

• Like 2

Sand bags on that bottom stretcher will make that thing a beast.  

Ideas for 2.0:

Integrate DC options right into the stand.

Tool rack on the side. 

Couple more shelves for the long list of accessories lathe don't come with but end up acquiring. 

Sanding/finishing supply storage on the side opposite the tool rack.   I know most of my sanding stuff, and a lot of finishing stuff is a bit different than standard (generally smaller or cut to fit custom made tooling), so a custom rack for just lathe sanding might be the way to go. 

Most of those can be retrofitted onto 1.0 also!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marmotjr said:

Integrate DC options right into the stand.

Tool rack on the side. 

Couple more shelves for the long list of accessories lathe don't come with but end up acquiring. 

Sanding/finishing supply storage on the side opposite the tool rack.   I know most of my sanding stuff, and a lot of finishing stuff is a bit different than standard (generally smaller or cut to fit custom made tooling), so a custom rack for just lathe sanding might be the way to go. 

Most of those can be retrofitted onto 1.0 also!

I like the DC idea and that should be pretty easy to integrate. The supply storage should be pretty easy to add on as long as the width doesn't get too wide. I have a specific spot for the stand. 

• Like 1