I was given 3 power tools today

gardnesd

Our pediatrician is leaving for Dundee Scotland on Christian mission work(permanently). They didn't have enough money to get a crate to ship overseas. they are selling or giving away everything. He gave me a delta 11-990 drill press, a ryobi router table with router attached, and a ryobi bandsaw. I donated support in return. The prize for me is the drill press. It needs some rust work and cleanup. I am probably pass along the band saw. However are there any uses for the ryobi router table. I understand it is an entry level table and not as large as the bench log etc. Should I keep it or not.

drill press

router table

I have a Ryobi router table and it really is a piece of junk. I am about to build a new table with a better insert. The plastic one included constantly needs tinkering and I can't count the number of times the work piece has caught the lip of the insert (because the little leveling pins work themselves downward) and caused a mis-cut. I just about threw it out the door last week when the 4th and final pass of some custom trim I made was going through it and "slid" off course! The insert is kind of diamond shape, so the workpiece crosses the edge of the insert/table at an angle. So when it goes off course, or catches, it always goes in a bad way... I have a Porter Cable router under it and the mount it came with works great, but the Ryobi portion has to go...

Sorry for the rant, I just happen to be looking around and I am fed up with my Ryobi table when i saw your post, but KUDOS on FREE TOOLS! I would keep it as a back-up non-critical cut router station.

Didn't that router get decent reviews a few years back? Can't remember who recommended it but it was probably, as with most Ryobi tools, a best value kind of thing. Chuck the table. I have a similar Craftsman and it is awful. Build your own table saw extension(http://www.finewoodworking.com/PlansAndProjects/PlansAndProjectsPDF.aspx?id=33749) or free-standing cabinet (http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopPDF.aspx?id=2758). I love both of these plans. I built a variation of the extension and couldn't be happier. Congrats on your "inheritance" and God bless your pediatrician!

Jack