#92 replacement iron

nateswoodworks

I need to get a replacement iron for my Stanley #92 shoulder plane. The new ones have A2 steel and I would like to go that way for my replacement but I am having problems finding one, anybody have any sugestions?? I see that Highland and Woodcraft both sell the standard replacements but I figured now would be the time to step it up a bit. Thanks

Nate

Thanks KsSlim but I am pretty sure those are the original replacement blades and I am looking for the A2 steel like is on the new SW's. I plan on calling them in the am just to see if I can get it but it sure seems weird that with as many of the new 92 SW's that are being sold with the A2 steel blades you can't find the replacements. One thing I really like that I never realized before is all the parts for the old planes you can get right from there. I enjoy buying old planes off e-bay and occasionally I need a misc part that you just can't find anywhere else, good to know!

Thanks again,

Nate

Hi Nate,

Two questions: What is it that you think you will get with an A2 blade that you're not getting with the blade you have?

And how old is your plane?

I bought my plane off e-bay and it is an early one but I am not sure exactly how old it is. The blade bends so easily and is about to break were the kerfs are grooved in the back. The body and carrier were stripped out (I knew this and got it for $18) I originally thought I would be able to put a helicoil in to repair the threads but was unable to find one that small so I had to make a new shaft and drill/tap the body to the next size larger hole. I took a 5/16x8 bolt, removed the threads on half of the shank and ran a 1/4x28 die over it. As for the adjusting carrier, I had to make a new one because the new threads I cut into it just wouldn't hold up. I took a 1/2" pulley key and drilled/tapped and shaped it. After all this I figured since I need to buy a new blade anyways I would get the thicker A2 one! Thanks for the concern and I hope it is clearer now.

Nate

I bought my plane off e-bay and it is an early one but I am not sure exactly how old it is. The blade bends so easily and is about to break were the kerfs are grooved in the back.

Ah. If it was just a matter of you wanting to get an A-2 blade because the edge wasn't holding up, I would have suggested trying a steeper bevel angle first, but it looks like you have more issues than that.

In any case, I wouldn't necessarily hold out for an A-2 blade if that's the only thing keeping you from getting a new blade for your plane. A shoulder plane like the Stanley 92 is often called on to cut endgrain, in which case a lower bevel angle is often useful, and A-2 sometimes doesn't play well with lower bevel angles. That's not to say that there aren't advantages to A-2, just that it probably isn't a huge advantage in this case.