Kitchen Cabinet Door Finish

Keggers

I'm changing my original post to ask for suggetions as to how to finish my cherry kitchen cabinets. I've learned that tung oil and wax is not the way to go. I might add that it will have to be a wipe on finish. I guess I could buy a spraying system, but I really don't have any place other than outdoors to spray. All suggestions welcome!

I have no experience with Charlies home brew, send him an e-mail, surely he will respond. Is the need, to prevent the cherry from blotching?

Since this is a kitchen environment, first thing that comes to mind is something with more protection than a tung oil :( Kitchen and bath, my liking is along the lines of a film finish. Think of soapy and wet hands around the door pulls and cooking splatters....I would imagine lots of maintenance and frequently re-applying the tung oil as it will sorta dry out dirt and grime getting into the wood? That's just me.

-Ace-

I have no experience with Charlies home brew, send him an e-mail, surely he will respond. Is the need, to prevent the cherry from blotching?

Since this is a kitchen environment, first thing that comes to mind is something with more protection than a tung oil :( Kitchen and bath, my liking is along the lines of a film finish. Think of soapy and wet hands around the door pulls and cooking splatters....I would imagine lots of maintenance and frequently re-applying the tung oil as it will sorta dry out dirt and grime getting into the wood? That's just me.

-Ace-

Hey Ace,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm using the Charles Neal product primarily for blotch control. I'll email him for suggestions. Since my earlier post I've read that tung oil is definately not a good choice for kitchen cabinets. I don't think I want a poly finish either. I don't have the means to spray on a finish so I'm looking for some type of wipe on finish that will protect and be durable. I'm hoping I get more suggestions

• 2 weeks later...

I know you don't want a poly finish, but I gotta say, I used Minwax Wipe-on poly (satin) on my kitchen cabinet doors at least 10 years ago. they are still as good as when it was applied.

The finish build-up is very minimal, even with the 5 or 6 coats I applied. The first 2 or 3 just soak into the wood and it looks like there is nothing there at all. The other coats add a very minimal buildup. You can just tell there is something there, but it is in no way plasticy looking. (my wife would have scraped it off herself otherwise) :-)

Just sayin.

Having used it on both cherry and walnut I highly recommend General Finishes Enduro Var. Low-odor, easy water clean up and makes woods like cherry & walnut look gorgeous. Water based topcoats typically make those woods look cold and lifeless, not so with the Enduro Var. It's easiest to spray it but it brushes very well too.