Spot repair in finish

KLR

Good evening,

I refinished a table for a client and a dark spot developed in a section of the surface. I stripped the area to level the color to match the rest of the table. I'm having difficulty in getting the color to level off. Can anyone give me a suggestion on patching and leveling the area? 

IMG_20180211_151548522.jpg

37 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Can you share the full schedule you followed to finish this surface? Helps to know what you're dealing with.

It's a mahogany veneer conference table. I first sanded being careful of how far I was sanding. The first two pannels I stained with two coats of red mahogany. The second two I was in a hurry and only put one coat. To darken the second two I mixed a little in with the urethane top coat that's when I developed a dark spot. I did use a minwax product called refinisher to strip off the dark area to get back down to the veneer. When reapplying the mixture it when I'm having the difficulty in blending

Minwax red mahogany seems to have a different formulation than their other stains. I imagine it did not blend well into the poly. As @wdwerker suggested, scraping away the finish is a fast and effective method. Honestly, I'd suggest stripping the table and finishing the entire thing the same way. Shortcuts are rarely satisfactory.

Sorry to have no more helpful suggestions.

• Like 1

Spot refinishing is rarely successful unless you are using a touch up spray gun, even then it's tricky. But Minwax stains & polyurethane do not spray well at all. That's one of the many reasons why I never use Minwax anymore.  M L Campbell's Woodsong stains come in Red Mahogany(same parent company) and they behave much better. However it would be very risky to use on a touch up. If the color mix is even a little bit off it would turn into a horror show.  

I hope you are successful in getting it fixed.