109 Pearce Hand Plane

Gnr4791

I picked up an old plane the other day at a swap meet for $6. It didn’t look like it was in the best of shape but I thought I might give it a go in restoring it somewhat. Nothing fancy, just to make it a little more usable. Being new to woodworking Tools etc... I thought I would ask the group if they knew anything about JPearce handplanes, how old this one might be. One of the funny things you can see in this photo is that the handle has broken off at some point and been replaced by a knob! So any help finding a replacement or tips on fabricating a replacement would be helpful as well. The iron says it is a Chapin Stephens I believe. Thanks!

494BF30A-F6AF-4E3F-BD3F-F74B98531817.jpeg

F4097ECD-8F07-4CAF-A309-8F1872D539F4.jpeg

If you want replace the handle, just take one from another plane and copy it. Trace it on the appropriate wood, cut it to shape and do the final shaping and curves with a rasp and sand paper. I repaired a handle like that awhile ago and now you can't tell unless you go hunting for it. 

For the rest, just get that blade scary sharp, or wicked sharp, or if you prefer, you can even go for stupid sharp. Then review how to adjust the blade deeper and shallower and enjoy!

How about a picture of the top, where the original handle was?

Sorry, no help on the history.  I use planes all the time, but never put any time into researching anything about when they were made, or who made them.

A picture of the bottom would be good too, so we can tell how the iron would interact with the throat.

On 2/20/2018 at 6:38 AM, Tom King said:

How about a picture of the top, where the original handle was?

Sorry, no help on the history.  I use planes all the time, but never put any time into researching anything about when they were made, or who made them.

A picture of the bottom would be good too, so we can tell how the iron would interact with the throat.

Photo of the bottom below

AF63D55C-D15E-4E8D-810D-2312D7B52850.jpeg