Need inspiration...Show your shop storage solutions!

A_Vitale

With the build of my new basement shop I am starting to think of some ideas as far as storage goes. The space will fill up fast so I am gonna be limited on doing a whole lot of base cabinets. Show show me how you guys are storing your bits, hand tools, glues, clamps, jigs, etc.

I kinda like the idea of open shelves/cubbies...but I really am needing some inspiration.... Thanks in advance!

I've got examples in my gallery. these basically are examples of what not to do. I'll try to get other photos in of the rest of the storage, but due to the narrow area I store things in, the camera cannot focus well. It's basically the el-cheapo tinfoil metal shelves that have the 1/4" particle board shelf, and can be built in several configurations.

Lathe stock takes up two thirds of one shelf, cut offs take the bottom shelf on the same rack, the power tools that still have a box are the middle shelf, and the fourth shelf is a basic mess. No organization to the shelf at all. The one thing I recommend is one of those plastic storage drawer/bins. I have two, of various sizes. The larger one holds sand paper before it gets sized, as well as extension cords, blank notebooks and pages of graph paper, a package of pens, a handful of pencils (no sharpener, though), spare lightbulbs, and spare rags for finishing. The smaller holds marking knives and peg board hooks, as well as small packages of hardware for upcoming projects.

Check out my shop at

I have 1/2 the shop perimeter in French cleat, great storage for about a bunk of plywood or more, and lumber racks, which have way too much other stuff on them. I hope the pics help.

I'm always updating. The thing I love most about the French cleat system is versatility.

Craftsman tool cabinets and chests work really well, they're often on sale and if you live near a metro area there's probably an outlet store. I have two chests 12" deep(18 drawers total), two 16"-2 drawer intermediate units, two 12"-3-drawer intermediates and 5 cabinets 18" deep on rollers with a total of 26 drawers. Except for a 6-drawer base and one 3-drawer intermediate that holds picture framing/matting tools and supplies they're full of hand tools, portable power tools and supplies. All were bought on sale or at outlet and I never paid more than $200 for a single unit. They're all Quiet-Glide or ball-bearing units, no homeowner-grade stuff. The cabs are on rollers so they're easy to move and clean behind or under. Watch the sales flyers, never buy anything at full price and don't be anal about color-matching or scratches/dents. You'll be amazed how inexpensively you can accumulate pieces.

Another thing to consider is the wire shelving units from BJs, Sams Club or Costco. The standard unit is 48L, 18D and 72H with 5 or 6 shelves. They come with casters so you can park them side-by-side in the narrow dimension and just pull one out to get access. And they're fairly inexpensive as well.

For the workshop, I'm not a big fan of open shelving or cubbies. Access may be quick and basic shelving is cheap but workshop areas are dusty and that means wasting time cleaning when you could be working. It's a lot quicker to vacuum the outside of a closed unit than take everything off a shelf, wipe it down, put it somewhere, clean the shelf and then put everything back. I have a couple of the wire units in the shop but it's a Herculean task to clean them....

That's about all I have to offer in the way of suggestions. I'll post some pics later.

HTH,

Bill

I don't know how much of an inspiration this will be but, this is what I have.

I have all of the non-woodworking stuff stored up high and out of the way. This freed up a ton of floor space for me. You will see how the other things are stored. Just don't look at the rest of the shop, it is a disaster. I have been rushed in what I have been doing the last week and I have been pretty much walking out of the shop without picking up after each session.

Builder Bill mentioned that he didn't like open cubbies and shelves. It isn't ideal, and I would prefer to have everything enclosed, but I haven't found it all that difficult to clean up either. It's cheap and easy. A shop vac, broom, and compressed air takes care of the dust pretty quick. However, my pictures will not refect that statement! ;) I got a bunch of dairy crates from my cousin and I screwed them on the wall and they work great and they were FREE!

Dyami mentioned suitcase storage containers, they are great! I could use more. I like that they are portable too if you should have to take them with you to work outside or away from the shop.

post-351-0-93480700-1296973795_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-33400100-1296973850_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-66189900-1296973861_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-30619000-1296973894_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-57268100-1296973909_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-98624900-1296973930_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-49886000-1296975017_thumb.jpg