Granite Top Tablesaw

toneslinger

Matt

Apparently the guy's at Steel City have a proprietary patent on the idea of granite saw decks. So a Rigid saw basically has a Steel City top.

The rods that hold the top on my saw have micro adjustment screws that allow you to make the extension wings true with the main deck. This set up took about 10 minutes for me. And was done with an Allen key, 36" true bar and a flash light.

One down side of the granite is you would have a hard time drilling into it in order to attach any further auxilliary extension you might want. Say for a router. But then you could always rig something up with the fence brackets.

Stampy

You can get bits for drilling granite at tile stores. You won't have the biggest choice in diameters as many are sized for common uses (faucets, spigots, chases) but they are there. Definitely not as convenient as grabbing bit and drilling cast iron. That said, though, I haven't yet drilled a hole in my tablesaw top. Fence rails, yes, top, no.

Wow...this thread took a 90 degree turn right there. :rolleyes: I try to make my babies the old fashioned way. In the back of 1978 Buick LeSabre with red crushed valour interior and Stairway to Heaven on the tape deck....

Another nice feature of the granite is the underside is flat as well. So if you need to clamp jigs or featherboards that won't work in a miter slot, you have a nice flat surface to clamp to.

Stampy

What are you doing when making babies that requires featherboards, jigs, and clamps? ;)

Any thoughts on the Steel City Cast Iron top jointer?

My experience so far has been good. I own a Steel City Cabinet Saw, 14" Bandsaw, 8" jointer and now a 17" drill press. All three pieces work as I would expect them too, but I don't think they're anymore special than other similar tools on the market.

Regardless of the granite on the TS and jointer, underneath they're the same as everything else. The only complaint I have with Steel City is the assembly manual. The bandsaw and TS were a little confusing.

But once all the tools were setup it was easy to dial them in to work exceptionally well.

Just to be completely open and up front. All my Steel City Tools were sent to me as part of my sponsorship with Highland Woodworking of Atlanta. So I didn't choose them myself, they were recommended to me as part of our agreement.

But now that they're here, I've had results I can't complain about.

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned that some manufacturers are avoiding the Hybrid label. If you look at the trunions of your saw compared to the Steel City Deluxe series of Cabinet saws I think that you'll find that the Deluxe series has the traditional beefy trunions that are comparable in size and style as found in a Unisaw. Your saw probably has the lighter Hybrid style Trunions. The 17" drill press was rated pretty highly awhile ago when they first came out, I don't know how it rates now. I can't remember if they had some motor issues or not, if they did, maybe those are solved by now.

I'll have to take a look under the hood of the tablesaw just to double check, but you're probably right. The hybrid tag definitely didn't last like I think they wanted it too, that or they decided it just wasn't making the money they anticipated.

I have yet to really take the drill press for a spin yet (pardon the pun), but I'm looking forward to it.