Machines required for Guild Builds

wlburgess

Hi all,

I am a new woodworker and am very interested in joining the guild. Being a new woodworker I don't have the full compliment of tools yet. What would be a recommended tools needed to complete most of the guild builds. Specifically do you need a planer and jointer? I have a table saw, bandsaw, router w/table and drill press, as well as some smaller power tools (drills, sanders etc). Also what hand tools are required? I would like to join, but if I need more tools, I can wait until I purchase those. I apologize if this list is somewhere on the site, I looked but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

William

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you're pretty much set to me. The router is a fine stand-in for a jointer and the table saw is the supreme multitasker. As for hand tools, even if you're a confirmed Normite, you'll always find need for a sharp set of chisels.

But if you've already obtained and are comfortable with the roster of machines described, there's no reason you shouldn't just dive in.

Welcome I think you should be OK with the machines you have now. The current project has a plywood and solid wood version. You could get by without the jointer / planer with the plywood version and if you wanted to solid wood you could order the bell forest kits which are pre-surfaced, but I'd suggest you try to link up with some local woodworkers in your area. I have found most guys are more than happy to help your surface lumber and it's a great way to meet others. I've had a few come by to use my jointer / planer and we I usually learn something from my fellow woodworker if they are a novice (for instance he knew where to find material on the cheap!)

Anyway welcome to the site and I think you'll be just fine with what you have.

One of the hardest things to advice in the beginning is "what tools to buy". So I usually recommend people start by taking a class or two. In the context of a project, you get to see all the tools you need and what they do. The Guild, is very similar to an in-depth class. So even if you don't necessarily embark on a build, you can see the entire process from start to finish. You will also see alternative tools and materials. After seeing a few projects, you can combine that knowledge with your personal interests, and you'll start to have a nice roadmap for your tool purchases. I find this to be the best way to avoid buying tools you really don't need.

All that said, I do my best to provide as many options as possible for Guild Builds. So like patrick mentioned above, you can choose from the plywood version of the current project, or simply buy a pre-milled kit available from Bell Forest Products.

Specifically do you need a planer and jointer?

Many hardwood suppliers offer planing and jointing service for a nominal fee when you buy lumber there, so you can avoid the purchase of these machines yourself. A common service you can get at the lumber supplier is S2S/R1E (surface two sides, rip one edge) which will basically leave the board faces smooth and parallel and the edges in a condition ready to rip down on your table saw or band saw. Give your hardwood supplier a call and see if they can accommodate your needs.