FMT, Domino, or???

wleingang

I am considering a Leigh FMT because I really like that I can cut clean square mortise and tenons with it. But I am concerned about cutting tenons on the end of long stock and that I will have trouble with stock length and having to always measure what I need + the length of the tenons.

So on the other hand I am considering a Festool domino. I have used one for a project and it worked great but I feel like it's just not as pure of a form of M&T joinery, plus I will never be able to cut a through mortise and tenon, so the beauty factor is out.

Are there suitable alternatives out there to those two products? I had a jet hollow chisel mortiser briefly but BEAT ME WITH CHAINS, that is hard work to cut mortises!

My first project with whatever tool I buy will be a patio railing with about 120 mortises cut into the top and bottom rails... so I want something that is accurate and repeatable without a ton of setup.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have a Domino and love it. I don't use it everyday or even every project, but when I do use it, it shines when it does. What I like:

Take it to the work - good for long pieces - I would have to be on a stepladder to make the tenon of mortise on a bed rail with the FMT....

dust collection

use it to align face frames on carcase boxes (like a biscuit but better IMHO)

useful for panel glue ups (again - like a biscuit)

easy alignment

If I had to do 120 mortises in a rail and 120 mortises in a bottom rail and 150 tenons on both sides of a spindle - I would use the guide stop accessory on the Domino for the rails and the face frame accessory for the spindles. I think clamping and repositioning the FMT for the rail could be problematic.

I don't have a FMT but I don't think you can make "square" tenons with it. I was just on the website and every example I saw, the tenons were round.

1074713167.jpg

I think Rob gave some excellent advice. Another thing to note is you don't necessarily lose the ability to cut through mortise and tenons with the domino. It is shown in woodwhisperer episode 20.

The beech domino may not be the most attractive but you could make you own tenon stock from whatever species you like for those instances.

Thanks for the responses guys. I can definitely see the versatility of the domino, I just hate the idea of buying dominos... sort of the razors/razorblades model.

I saw this and was hoping it would allow for square mortises:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/leighfmt14squaretenonguide.aspx

again, I appreciate the feedback.

definitely not the razor/razor blade model, that's where the tool is essentially free and the consumable is expensive. the largest beech domino's are about 18 cents apiece in bulk, and the last i checked, the djs was still a little pricey. :)

recently saw someone making through mortises with the domino and custom cut domino's. he even squared one end...very creative approach. i can't find the link, maybe one of the festool fog people have seen it.

that said, i don't think the two are mutually exclusive. i think you could make the case to both in your arsenal. the choice to make is which has a higher priority to you.

I also have the Domino and have used it to make lots of things. It is easy to set up, easy to use and like others have said, it works great on long and over sized pieces.

One of the reviews I read said to never show this tool to a beginner as they will no longer be a beginner. They said much better than that but you get the gist.

The best tool I own and it gets lots of use. If you value your time at near $10.00 per hour you will get your money back on your first project of any size.

It will be especially valuable on your project with 120 mortises. You can set up and cut them with almost no set up and cut them in no time.

"Are there suitable alternatives out there to those two products?"

Absolutely!

I have never used either of the tools you are asking about, but I can't help but offer an alternative (sorry!). Have you considered making a slot mortiser/horizontal mortiser? It will set you back a small fraction of the cost of those other two tools and it is very versatile. Long stock is 'never' a problem. And it is accurate and repeatable without a ton of setup.

mortiser_Hd3_main.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by "a pure form of M&T joinery"? Loose tenon joinery (what the Festool utilizes) is just as strong as an integral M&T (maybe a smidge weaker, see FWW for tests).

-Brian

www.garagewoodworks.com

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/HMortiser.php

The domino is portable, is accurate and fast. I decided that at least for all mortise and tenons that are hidden I will use dominos. For bigger joints where the dominos are not big enough I will route for two mortises and make my own floating tenons made of quarter sawn white oak because I believe in the joint.

The only time I would think of another process would be for through M&T and so far I have not faced it. I have even considered using the domino for making cabinet doors.

A less-expensive alternative is to make a simple mortising jig for your plunge router out of some 1/4" MDF or whatever you have laying around. 5/8" slot routed in the jig, 5/8" template bushing in the router, 1/4" or 3/8" spiral bit depending on the size of your mortises. Square up your mortises with a chisel, round over your tenons with a file or plane down some stock and use a round-over bit to make your own floating tenons. With a jig like this, I wouldn't be afraid to approach a project with 120 mortises.

Rory

post-2855-0-80673100-1297385364_thumb.jp post-2855-0-85640400-1297385365_thumb.jp post-2855-0-54311600-1297385366_thumb.jp

"Are there suitable alternatives out there to those two products?"

Absolutely!

I have never used either of the tools you are asking about, but I can't help but offer an alternative (sorry!). Have you considered making a slot mortiser/horizontal mortiser? It will set you back a small fraction of the cost of those other two tools and it is very versatile. Long stock is 'never' a problem. And it is accurate and repeatable without a ton of setup.

Somebody's seen the woodgears site... Kudos on the horizontal mortiser, by the way.

Brian how long did it take you to build that and how much do you have in materials? Is there anything that you would have done differently now that it's built? I was thinking about buying the woodgears plans but I'm concerned that making tenons is going to be a pita.

The only material costs for me were the shafts and the bushings totaling around $100.00 or so.

I used his plans as a reference, but I didn't stick to them strictly. He uses drawer guides for his X-Y tables and I went with steel shafts and bushings which I consider an improvement.

The only material costs for me were the shafts and the bushings totaling around $100.00 or so.

I used his plans as a reference, but I didn't stick to them strictly. He uses drawer guides for his X-Y tables and I went with steel shafts and bushings which I consider an improvement.

Definitely... great idea!

Here's a link to a video of my own Shop made slot mortiser. It's been modified a bit since I wrote an article about it for Fine Woodworking Magazine. I've added Z axis (height) adjustment... I've used it to cut thousands of mortises, and have never been dissapointed.

Sorry, I don't know how to embed video - Marc, You've got no worries about me being the next High Tech Woodworker!!!

Hope this helps

Gregory

Edited by Paul-Marcel
Embedded the video

A less-expensive alternative is to make a simple mortising jig for your plunge router out of some 1/4" MDF or whatever you have laying around. 5/8" slot routed in the jig, 5/8" template bushing in the router, 1/4" or 3/8" spiral bit depending on the size of your mortises. Square up your mortises with a chisel, round over your tenons with a file or plane down some stock and use a round-over bit to make your own floating tenons. With a jig like this, I wouldn't be afraid to approach a project with 120 mortises.

Rory

post-2855-0-80673100-1297385364_thumb.jp post-2855-0-85640400-1297385365_thumb.jp post-2855-0-54311600-1297385366_thumb.jp

I think Rory has the BEST solution when you review cost and final result. I too thought long and hard on buying the FMT. After much consideration, that idea got nixed. I too looked at the Domino. I used a friend's Domino and loved it. He loves it too. But I dont like two aspects: 1. The cost. Since ww is a hobby, spending a grand on a power tool seems to me a bit foolish. 2. The mortises are limited in size.

I have made a version of Rory's jig. And it is wonderful. The price is right and it makes all sizes of mortises.

You guys might look at me like Im crazy, but I just looked at the FMT, and at first glance it looks fricken sweet! But in all reality couldnt you make a jig to do that if you really wanted to, instead of spending the 900 bucks. I would rather have the domino if I could afford it. The handheld freedom of the unit. In my honest opinion, jigs are cool, but they defeat the purpose of the hobby, unless youre pumping out products and need a "fast" alternative. The domino is cool because a loose tenon means strength and alignment for your project without blatantly seeing something you did by machine and not by hand. If I came across the opportunity to put a through mortise and tenon on a project, I would certainly love to do it by hand. Same for dovetails. I feel it adds to that proud moment at the end where you can tell people you did it by hand. But like I said this is just my personal opinion, to each is own.