Dust collection fittings source

JayhawkCRNA

So I bought a DC at an auction so now I need to plumb in the pipe. I have decided on 4” PVC Sewer pipe as the base runs with 4” flex hose as the last bit to all the tools in case I need to move the tools a bit. But my question is about the fittings. I can purchase the PVC wyes and elbows at the big box but need to find the connectors that would work to go from PVC to flex hose? 

question - are you going with regular Sched 40 PVC? or the lighter thin-wall drain pipe?  Just asking for a few reasons...

- sch40 pipecan get be heavy

- sch40 fittings can get ridiculously expensive

- some of the thin-wall pipe (like this one, which is what I used: https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-10-ft-Triplewall-Pipe-Solid-4550010/100135310) is inexpensive, is light, and has fittings that are very cheap.

As for what fittings work - I think I had bought a "kit" from Delta that had flex pipe fittings and blast gates....and yet I still had to piece through and figure out what fit onto what.  Unfortunately DC fittings all seem to have their own sizing system.  I'd say take pieces of what you already own (pipe, fittings, flex) to a local store (woodcraft?) and see if you can see what fittings work.

• Like 2

I was thinking this https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/rough-plumbing/pipe-tubing-hoses-fittings-accessories/pipe/sewer-drain-pvc-pipe/solid-pvc-sewer-and-drain-pipe-astm-d3034/sm060040600/p-1444438060879-c-8572.htm?tid=-5819840334269182232&ipos=1

that Jay Bates used in his video near as I can tell.

i don’t have any local stores that sell this stuff for dust collection. I was hoping I could avoid taking a piece of each pipe if possible so I can make the least amount of trips/orders. 

The DC I bought came with 4”metal ducting/fittings and blast gates. But the metal seems tough to work with to me

23 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

question - are you going with regular Sched 40 PVC? or the lighter thin-wall drain pipe?  Just asking for a few reasons...

- sch40 pipecan get be heavy

- sch40 fittings can get ridiculously expensive

- some of the thin-wall pipe (like this one, which is what I used: https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-10-ft-Triplewall-Pipe-Solid-4550010/100135310) is inexpensive, is light, and has fittings that are very cheap.

As for what fittings work - I think I had bought a "kit" from Delta that had flex pipe fittings and blast gates....and yet I still had to piece through and figure out what fit onto what.  Unfortunately DC fittings all seem to have their own sizing system.  I'd say take pieces of what you already own (pipe, fittings, flex) to a local store (woodcraft?) and see if you can see what fittings work.

Did you use the pipe you linked? If so do you like it?

12 hours ago, JayhawkCRNA said:

I was thinking this https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/rough-plumbing/pipe-tubing-hoses-fittings-accessories/pipe/sewer-drain-pvc-pipe/solid-pvc-sewer-and-drain-pipe-astm-d3034/sm060040600/p-1444438060879-c-8572.htm?tid=-5819840334269182232&ipos=1

that Jay Bates used in his video near as I can tell.

i don’t have any local stores that sell this stuff for dust collection. I was hoping I could avoid taking a piece of each pipe if possible so I can make the least amount of trips/orders. 

The DC I bought came with 4”metal ducting/fittings and blast gates. But the metal seems tough to work with to me

SDR35 sewer pipe is perfect. Note the fittings for SDR35 and Sch 40 are NOT the same and are in different places in menards. Don't ever use tees and 90s use 45s and wyes.

The lee valley blast gates Jay Bates uses fit perfectly in the SDR35 pipe and i sealed mine with some silicone. The flex pipe fits nicely on the ends of the blast gates. With smaller DCs you want a gate to close every tool off but the one your using. If not you'll never get enough flow for the system to work properly.

12 hours ago, JayhawkCRNA said:

Yes i also covered the pipe install in my shop tour.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

SDR35 sewer pipe is perfect. Note the fittings for SDR35 and Sch 40 are NOT the same and are in different places in menards. Don't ever use tees and 90s use 45s and wyes.

The lee valley blast gates Jay Bates uses fit perfectly in the SDR35 pipe and i sealed mine with some silicone. The flex pipe fits nicely on the ends of the blast gates. With smaller DCs you want a gate to close every tool off but the one your using. If not you'll never get enough flow for the system to work properly.

Yes i also covered the pipe install in my shop tour.

Thanks I will probably go this route

15 hours ago, JayhawkCRNA said:

Yes, I did - it's the 4" "triplewall" pipe from HD.  

Fittings are available like this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-4-in-PVC-90-Degree-Hub-x-Hub-Elbow-4P02/100137163

My only 'knocks' are that it's not available in 5" pipe (the size inlet on my DC) , and that 6" is not stocked locally.  However, I have 4" plumbed from the DC unit (delta 1.5HP unit with a Super Dust Deputy) to all my tools, with short flex pipe connections; and I think the DS works very well. 

I just bought all of this stuff at Menards and Woodcraft in KC last weekend.  Mendards has 2 foot sections of sewer pipe you can carry around to test fittings.  Unfortunately, the regular rubber pipe clamps wont work on sewer drain pipe because it's smaller than sch 40.  

I bought blast gates and clamps at Woodcraft.  A little pricey but I wanted them right away.

Here's links: 

Blast Gates: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/4-basic-blast-gate-dust-collection-fitting?via=573621bd69702d0676000002%2C576455d369702d2f2f0013a2%2C5764563569702d3c42000bea

Clamps: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/4-inch-dust-control-flex-cuff-with-hose-clamps?via=573621bd69702d0676000002%2C576455d369702d2f2f0013a2%2C5764563569702d3c42000bea

You could probably source all of this quite a bit cheaper online but then you run the risk of stuff not fitting together and having to deal with returns.

• Like 1