The Nut House V2

Chestnut

3 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

very nice! 

So did you ground the PVC anywhere or just going to deal with the shocks if/when they come along?

From the research I've done grounding it isn't going to amount to much help in that department. When it's running we'll see how much of an issue it is and I'll address it from there. Beings that PVC isn't conductive i was thinking of trying to find a coating that is conductive and spreading it over the whole pipe. Haven't done research yet on it though.

Just now, bushwacked said:

oh interesting ... yes I will definitely be interested in hearing how it goes and how you feel the static is ... I am wanting to set my shop with that PVC as well

I just crunched the numbers on the cost. Comparing cost the PVC isn't a whole lot cheaper but i imagine that it's easier to work with. Being able to cut lengths to exactly what i need them makes things easy. The design service might make buying a system just as easy but i opted to go this way. It was really nice to be able to run to the store and grab the item i forgot or didn't see that i'd need.

• Like 1

Is the dust gorrila new or have you had it up and running before? I am thinking of buying the same unit and I am interested in opinions. 

The shop looks pretty good. Are there any vents into that area? Are you going to do any special precautions around your (presumed) air handler to keep dust from going elsewhere in the house?

4 minutes ago, minorhero said:

Is the dust gorrila new or have you had it up and running before? I am thinking of buying the same unit and I am interested in opinions. 

The shop looks pretty good. Are there any vents into that area? Are you going to do any special precautions around your (presumed) air handler to keep dust from going elsewhere in the house?

I have no air returns to the HVAC system in the basement but there is one vent for sending air. As of yet I've been running an HF 5 micron DC and there has been little to zero dust getting in the house. I had a lengthy conversation with my girlfriend about the dust and her opinion of the shop in the basement. Megan's concerns were minimal because nothing had escaped the basement that we had noticed in 4 months. I have no concerns, my last shop was next to the HVAC had far more dust and never impacted the system. I change my filter more frequently than recommended.

I fired up the Oneida collector last night for the first time and the suction through the 6" port by my bandsaw was shocking. This system easily doubles the airflow from the HF 2hp unit. I brought my hand close to the port and when it was an inch away it sucked my hand into the pipe much to my surprise.

My opinion of the unit over all is this. It's well designed and well built. The cyclone it's self seems like it's a bit more simple than what i can see of the cleavue. The clearvue has an internal ramp that directs the air stream down the cyclone body. Also the inlet on the CV system seems to be more tangential than the OAS cyclone. I made the decision to go with the Oneida system solely because i didn't want to run a 5hp unit. I figured running a 3hp unit closer to it's design capacity would work better than under running a 5hp unit. I also thought the detailed specs on the Oneida filters were slightly better than that of the CV system. Also i like that Oneida doesn't do the addon BS that CV does and i liked the stand over wall mounting The unit you buy has everything ready to go. I added a remote which was wired and fuctional out of the box.

Unfortunately or fortunately, i think i got one of the last 3hp gorilla pro units from Oneida. The day after i ordered they updated their site to only show the smart boost collector. The upside is that the new collector is undeniably better and is (with the sale price) only $100 more. I'm almost wishing that the sales guy had mentioned the other unit to me because i would have bought it but i didn't know about it.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I brought my hand close to the port and when it was an inch away it sucked my hand into the pipe much to my surprise.

I don't know if it's fact or legend, but one of the old members (Don, I think?) actually had his dentures sucked up by his dust collector. If it's not true, it should be.

5 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I don't know if it's fact or legend, but one of the old members (Don, I think?) actually had his dentures sucked up by his dust collector. If it's not true, it should be.

I heard that legend a few times. I didn't really understand that i wasn't a joke at all until last night. I could probably create a fun game of "Will it suck!?"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I don't know why everyone fixates on that. I Installed an internet blade guard on the saw just to make people feel better.

See and I wouldn't have even noticed. But I Did read every comment hoping to figure out why your mitre saw is being censored. Though you may have bought one of those NSFW blades..

14 hours ago, Chet said:

I think people fixate on it because it is really unsafe to operate it that way.  Think kick back, it can happen.

On that very same saw, I experienced a serious kick back while making a chop cut thinking that the sliding mechanism was locked... but it wasn't. I'd prolly lost a body part if it wasn't for the blade guard.

Any ways.

I got blast gates installed and the flex hose ran to most of my tools. This system is probably overkill for my needs but is going to keep my shop much cleaner. The suction on my bandsaw was working great until the blade decided to snap. Typically i'd get some shavings to pop out of the jointer at random places and now it stays squeaky clean. The collection at my table saw is improved as well. This shouldn't be surprising but it really is. As i was cleaning up i noticed that dumping the dust bin is NOT going to be the most fun adventure where it's located, that's a problem for future me.

I'm still using 4" ports on all my tools which i know is a bottle neck but i tried to keep the 4" as short as possible. This does leave me wondering if i'm starving the cyclone for air to operate efficiently. I'm thinking of keeping at least 1 additional gate half open but i have no idea where to begin guessing how much flow is going through the system.

19 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I heard that legend a few times. I didn't really understand that i wasn't a joke at all until last night. I could probably create a fun game of "Will it suck!?"

Just for kicks I tried 4" chunks of 2x4 & up they went. Made a lot of noise on the way.

57 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Any ways.

I got blast gates installed and the flex hose ran to most of my tools. This system is probably overkill for my needs but is going to keep my shop much cleaner. The suction on my bandsaw was working great until the blade decided to snap. Typically i'd get some shavings to pop out of the jointer at random places and now it stays squeaky clean. The collection at my table saw is improved as well. This shouldn't be surprising but it really is. As i was cleaning up i noticed that dumping the dust bin is NOT going to be the most fun adventure where it's located, that's a problem for future me.

I'm still using 4" ports on all my tools which i know is a bottle neck but i tried to keep the 4" as short as possible. This does leave me wondering if i'm starving the cyclone for air to operate efficiently. I'm thinking of keeping at least 1 additional gate half open but i have no idea where to begin guessing how much flow is going through the system.

Yeah, navigating back away from the lecture hall..

The shop looks great. I'm a bit jelly of the new dc. Mine is about a foot and a half in the ground. 

Bummer those 4x's come down straight in the middle of the room. Looks like your setup works around it nicely.