The Nut House V2

Chestnut

1 hour ago, bushwacked said:

Just saw this ... what do you mean 6” gets heavy losses in the 1300cfm range? 

What Steve said but to clarify think of air like cars going down the highway. When there are only 1 or 2 cars it's easy to go 100 mph but after you get 100 cars on the highway it's harder to go 100 mph. Pentz rates 6" at like 800 cfm but i find that awfully conservative that's the velocity necessary to keep chips in the air column moving strait vertical. Using Pentz spreadsheet 6" ducting starts getting very large amounts of resistance around 1100-1200 cfm. Around that 1200 cfm the air inside the pipe is moving 75 mph.

Oh also for those that are curious. I measured the amp draw with the gates in the position i had them when i was plane and i was getting close to FLA (Full load amps). I tested the amperage with the various ports open and the draw was always around 9-10. With all gates open i was pulling 12.5-13 amps which i think is slightly overloading the motor. 2 gates open i was in the 10.75-11.25 so i could reasonably work in my shop with another person some day.

17 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I usually have 2 hoses hook up to my router table, one on the fence and one on the enclosed base.  The SawStop I am looking at has one on the blade guard and one on the base. You could crack open a gate farther from the machine you are using .

I've been running with a good 4" port in the fence and it works VERY well i rarely get more then a couple chips under the table. Those over arm blade guard collector things look really nice i tried search for them but it appears that they are no longer made.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I made a jig to do mine and made them a little wider to allow for the table to move a little.  Even as big and heavy as mine is, it still moves a little now and then.

I got the idea to do the top laminated the way i did from your build. I like the idea of the added weight to help keep it in place.

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I got the idea to do the top laminated the way i did from your build. I like the idea of the added weight to help keep it in place.

Thanks..  I didn't enjoy it so much when we moved..  7 guys were able to get it off the truck tho. ;)

24 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Thanks..  I didn't enjoy it so much when we moved..  7 guys were able to get it off the truck tho. ;)

I wish i could have gotten 7 guys on my jointer when i moved that in. It was me and 2 others and that was not enough people. I still feel terrible for having my friends help me. I learned from my mistake next time, i'm hiring a moving crew, i don't have enough friends to crush one under a piece of heavy equipment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Your out feed table is coming along nicely.. Being I don't like to spend allot on shop stuff if I can help it makes your table even better to me.. Glad your enjoying your new shop.

Oh i'm loving it. Though it's starting to feel small FAST. I need to build a shed for long term wood storage and get rid of my wood rack down there. Most expensive part is the half sheet of ply on the sides and the $100 i spend on BB drawer slides.

• Like 1

So i got the drawers done and i filled up 3 of the 5 and the top one is'n't really full as it is more how i want it to stay open and organized. I need to do drawer fronts but i'm going to try and use scraps for those so it'll be a while untill i get those done.

3313697742266432718.thumb.jpg.86f198f0b0a93cadeeb5652ce1c4632e.jpg

4775418752907058841.thumb.jpg.51b729b913ede4cee94bc778d098466b.jpg

4302587492301391975.thumb.jpg.0882d5e4f404978ed6fb2a17bd3c852b.jpg

I got some really good shop orgo going and have a good idea of where i can move some stuff. I also cleaned out under the stairs and moved the paint to a better place and throw away some old stuff from the previous owners that the lady of the house never wants put back on the walls.

Next up is adding a H3nry style vise to my interim workbench until i make a proper one. Odd are this one will work well for a long time.