The Nut House V2

Chestnut

I'm jealous of the new DC as well.  

Don/ Particleboard was a member who owned a commercial cabinet shop. He mentioned dropping his dentures and listening to them bang and rattle all the way through the pipes. He mentioned it so casually I have no doubt it happened. The reaction on the Forum was hilarious and it got repeated every time someone was discussing dust collectors, thus a legend was born.

1 minute ago, wdwerker said:

I'm jealous of the new DC as well.  

Don/ Particleboard was a member who owned a commercial cabinet shop. He mentioned dropping his dentures and listening to them bang and rattle all the way through the pipes. He mentioned it so casually I have no doubt it happened. The reaction on the Forum was hilarious and it got repeated every time someone was discussing dust collectors, thus a legend was born.

It used to be a most liked posts list. His was on top of that list!

1 hour ago, ClassAct said:

Great looking shop! All that's missing is a shop dog snoozing on a blanket.

I was thinking more of a shop Tuatara, wiki it they are cool but never going to happen.

43 minutes ago, Chet said:

Hey Nut,

Was just looking back through this and was looking at almost the perfect spot you have for the DC.  What, in the house's design brought about that little dust collector alcove?

This is difficult to explain so I'll draw instead.

Drawing2-Model.thumb.jpg.1915eff6cf4f3932a6b86642fb4fd61c.jpg

The previous owners (origional) had something specific in mind with the house and had a custom layout done up. My shop is below the laundry front entrance kitchen dining/living area. The typical plan for the area would have the dining living area a split up from the kitchen entrance level. They wanted all of that 1 level. Instead of having an 800 sq foot crawlspace they made it basement for storage. The way the garage laundry area is designed it leaves an odd space in the foundation. Despite being a bit odd the house is well designed and very well built. The kitchen dining living is 10 foot ceilings my shop has 8.5 foot ceilings and only the bedroom split area is at 8 feet.

9 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I like this Tuatara:

Yeah but it falls apart here. WTF IS THIS! OMG THE CAR HAS CANCER!

2011_SSC_Tuatara3.thumb.jpg.bee0f33b7433353ba2439226dda9de1a.jpg

Reminds me of a rat with those awkward growths they get.

9 minutes ago, SplinteredDave said:

Hmmm both are too big for the shop... Sorry for the hijack..

This i could get on board with this. It reminds me of the Kubota RTV without the drawbacks of the Kubota, mostly the awful hydro-static transmission that was either hugely torque anemic and really slow or so slow it wasn't moving but kinda had torque. That being said except for the read hubs being designed poorly in tandem with the terrible transmission they were built like a brick pooper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like i may have said previously i  got all the drops connected. I have pictures now.

1129172103_HDR.thumb.jpg.3c046995c638a3359b90885d5b937fde.jpg

1129172104_HDR.thumb.jpg.f390ebc3a9aa08d2286cbedb4376022e.jpg

I took a few examples from another forum member that angled his tools slightly to get better positioning and maintain infeed and outfeed space.

I ran the planer for about an hour cleaning up material I plan to use for an outfeed table. During that hour the planer still liked to vomit larger chips out both ends making a mess.

1129172103a_HDR.thumb.jpg.05ad97e9c6fbb69dff00f23a6545f3a8.jpg

This could have been because i had all 4 gates open and the pressure in the system wasn't as high as it should have been. After milling i went to check the collector and noticed that it was a bit warmer in the corner than the rest of the shop. I think i may have been feeding it too much air because the motor was warm around 95 ish degrees based off comparison to my forehead. Tonight i might pop open my electrical panel and stick an amp meter on the sub to see how much draw I'm getting. I'll then play with gates and try and use that as a measure of how much air i should be feeding the system. I still need to hook up my router table drop but i REALLY am sick of cutting PVC pipe. So for now I'll use my HF dc on the router table.

I don't have any were near the same DC setup you have Nut, smaller unit and 4 inch instead of 6 inch, but I have come to the conclusion that the fan in the Dewalt 735 blows so hard that some of the chips just get blown around inside and escape.   No scientific information to back this though. ;)

• Like 1

On 11/30/2017 at 1:24 PM, bushwacked said:

If you don’t mind me asking ... around how much did just the pvc/fittings/hose cost for your setup? I guess basically everything but the DC lol. 

I used 8 10' 6 IN SDR35 sewer pipes. Total from Menards was $198 Cost from a rough search for the DFW area would be closer to $280 I could only find the pipe special order through lowes.

3 6X6X6 Wye fittings at $17 total $51

1 6X6X4 Wye fitting $14

9 6" 45 degree bends $7 each total $63

3 4" 45 degree bends $2 each total $6

1 10' 4" SDR35 pipe $11

Lee Valle 4" blast gates $13 each I bought 6 to cover future tool expansion $79

Tube of silicon Sealant used 1 full one. ~$5

1 roll of foil tape $12

2 rolls of pipe strap $6

2 Pureleaf Iced teas for refreshment after frustrating pipe fittings being different sizes $3

Total: $448 + 7.5% tax = $481.6

Roughly the same in metal from Oneida in 26ga Snaplock standard would be $852 + $100 shipping (guess) = $952 So i saved roughly 50%

The knowledge that Schedule 40 and SDR 35 pipe and fittings are NOT the same size. A very very large amount of frustration.

For those that are curious the Oneida 3hp Pro Unit with remote, 35gal bin, stand, a reducer for the inlet, and $99 shipping was $2,610

Edited by Chestnut
Added metal duct cost.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan G said:

System looks great!

Random question...

Is that PJ882 on the stock powermatic base or something else?

No it's sitting on an HTC PM2500. I knew I'd move it around until it found a home and the it'd sit so i didn't bother getting anything stronger. It's not quite stout enough to move the machine reliably and you need the extension rail kit to make it work.

49 minutes ago, SirNot said:

2 quick questions- 

Why silicone to fit them and not PVC glue to make them permanent?

Why 6 inch pipe and not 4?

Silicone because it offers a seal but isn't permanent. I can scrape the gunk off and still pull the joints apart if i need to.

6" was even a stretch my first run from the collector to the table saw wye should have really been 7". To more specifically answer the question 4" ductwork is really only big enough to flow 700 ish CFM this collector is rated closer to 1500. 6" pipe starts getting heavy losses in the 1300 CFM range. This is just from memory for way more information than you'll ever need go to Bill Pentz's website.

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I used 8 10' 6 IN SDR35 sewer pipes. Total from Menards was $198 Cost from a rough search for the DFW area would be closer to $280 I could only find the pipe special order through lowes.

3 6X6X6 Wye fittings at $17 total $51

1 6X6X4 Wye fitting $14

9 6" 45 degree bends $7 each total $63

3 4" 45 degree bends $2 each total $6

1 10' 4" SDR35 pipe $11

Lee Valle 4" blast gates $13 each I bought 6 to cover future tool expansion $79

Tube of silicon Sealant used 1 full one. ~$5

1 roll of foil tape $12

2 rolls of pipe strap $6

2 Pureleaf Iced teas for refreshment after frustrating pipe fittings being different sizes $3

Total: $448 + 7.5% tax = $481.6

The knowledge that Schedule 40 and SDR 35 pipe and fittings are NOT the same size. A very very large amount of frustration.

For those that are curious the Oneida 3hp Pro Unit with remote, 35gal bin, stand, a reducer for the inlet, and $99 shipping was $2,610

LOL. Love the iced tea to calm the nerves. 

Thanks for the info I appreciate it! 

10 hours ago, bushwacked said:

LOL. Love the iced tea to calm the nerves. 

Thanks for the info I appreciate it! 

NP. I don't know if it calmed me but i really enjoy that iced tea. For mass produced stuff it's decent.

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

So that’s what a basement looks like? No overhead doors! Lucky bastard:D! Nice shop Nut!

Thanks Coop, Yeah the lack of overhead doors is nice until you have to figure out a way to carry a 600 lb jointer through your house and down stairs to your shop. I'm selling that PJ882 with the house.

16 hours ago, Chestnut said:

6" was even a stretch my first run from the collector to the table saw wye should have really been 7". To more specifically answer the question 4" ductwork is really only big enough to flow 700 ish CFM this collector is rated closer to 1500. 6" pipe starts getting heavy losses in the 1300 CFM range. This is just from memory for way more information than you'll ever need go to Bill Pentz's website.

Just saw this ... what do you mean 6” gets heavy losses in the 1300cfm range?