The Nut House V2

Chestnut

44 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

How expensive was the denim stuff compared to other options? I don't see it sold locally, might be considered too much of a fire hazard here? No clue.

It was exactly the same price as the roxul stuff. I chose it because it's nicer to deal with. To cut it i just tore it where i needed it and it was really easy. It did create some dust so i still wore a respirator but no itching no eye irritation ect.

33 minutes ago, Chet said:

Yes.  As you know the plastic/PVC/waste line stuff isn't that expensive so I was planning on a re-do.

I'm assuming you'll step up to 6" as well.  From all my research it really seemed like 6" is the way to go for proper collection. Especially on long horizontal runs.

Just now, Woodenskye said:

Drew get a bread knife to cut instead of tearing it.

I have a machette around here somewhere specifically for cutting stuff like this but i couldn't be bothered to find it. I only have 1 bread knife anyway and it's not something that you'd want to cut this stuff with.

Black Sabath, Alice Cooper, Led Zepplin , Nazareth, Eagles , Joe Cocker, Queen, Bob Seger, ZZ Top , BB King, Al Jarreau, Mannheim Steamroller, Billy Joel, Elton John,  Arlo Guthrie (front row center seats and got to meet him on the tour bus )..... so a bit before gangsta rap.  But Eminem & Pink caught my eye too. Kinda an elecelectic range of interests.

My brother got me in to see Steppenwolf when is was 15,  that was an eye opener !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wdwerker said:

Black Sabath, Alice Cooper, Led Zepplin , Nazareth, Eagles , Joe Cocker, Queen, Bob Seger, ZZ Top , BB King, Al Jarreau, Mannheim Steamroller, Billy Joel, Elton John,  Arlo Guthrie (front row center seats and got to meet him on the tour bus )..... so a bit before gangsta rap.  But Eminem & Pink caught my eye too. Kinda an elecelectic range of interests.

A night out with Pink would be fun. Probably would end up with a black eye but it'd be worth it.

• Haha 1

So that went off the rails a bit time to bring it back on. While i wait for the drum sander i just keep pouring time into shop furniture. Here are some pictures of the finished insulation.

5a67fd19380da_ShopWork001Share.thumb.jpg.23a70c8301e0eaedd2015d6017cde008.jpg

5a67fd1b114d8_ShopWork002Share.thumb.jpg.1099f88b33a729e336f2e603ecce88e9.jpg

I was a little bit heavy with the saturation on that. oopps

I also made a shelf that is really close to the top of my work bench. My goal for this is a place to store hand planes or other small items to stop wasting space on the bottom shelf as well as keep them in a spot that is more handy. I have most of my handplanes underneath as well as a few other odds and ends. I got the idea from Foureyes with his most recent out feed table.

1213673674707836407.thumb.jpg.cddd7f2cbf0cf68dd8c2fe63a88c3ea4.jpg

Those blue things are silicone place mats. I bought them to put under items for glue up so i don't glue stuff to my bench. So far they work great. The glue just falls right off of them once it dries. I'm currently working on a work surface for the new drum sander and my thickness planer. I'll post updates about that later.

So the rolling cart i made for my planer was great. When i got a drum sander i planned on stacking them but after i considered making something strong enough to hold the sander and then what ever material would go through it i decided to just make a larger surface for the tools. This way i get to utilize the shelf storage underneath the tools for larger items. I may modify it  in the future for drawers or who knows.

I still have a ton of this very rough random hardwood.

5a68b172c3519_ShopWork011Share.thumb.jpg.54ccc5cd887e48104974bc3a3539ecdd.jpg

This stuff ended up being a pretty even 3 part mix of red and white oak and hickory with 1 odd 8' piece of maple. The material is mostly 2 x 2.75 or 2.5 x 2.5. I jointed 2 sides and then either cut in half for the apron pieces or fully squared it up for legs.

5a68b173a3c29_ShopWork012Share.thumb.jpg.0fb49127f52cf3dbb676834952cee00e.jpg

If any of you remember me asking about the sander dimensions Friday this is why. The big square is 34" x 36", so not square i guess. I ended up putting a brace in the middle of the top and will do the same for the bottom just to stop the shelf from sagging.

5a68b17490cf9_ShopWork014Share.thumb.jpg.79d01583388981b477dec44a5ed41979.jpg

I used 3/4" pine ply for the top and used nails to hold it down. The angled brace in the front i nailed on as well. I have to say even pre-drilling holes hickory is a  SOB to pound a nail into even with the holes just barley bigger than the nail. Everything else was held together with dominos. I still have to modify the dust system but that shouldn't be too bad. This section i knew i was going to have to change so it's just held on with tape. I also plan to hit the ply with my sander and coat most of this with shellac.

Also in the goo news. As i was typing this up i got a phone call telling me the sander i ordered was ready for pickup. So yay! new tool setup tonight.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Thanks guys. Me too i feel live i've been in this shop a long time and i'm just now starting to get organized. There are beginning to be less and less times i wander around looking for a specific item that i put somewhere and can't remember where that place was.

I find it a real enjoyable way to work when everything has a specific place to be stored.  At the end of a shop session, with the exception of project parts that are stickers or in clamps, everything is back in it's spot.  I think that when you get in the habit of cleaning up at the end of a stint, you will find it easier when you get back in the shop to pick up on the project where you left off because you won't be wasting time trying to locate your tools.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

I find it a real enjoyable way to work when everything has a specific place to be stored.  At the end of a shop session, with the exception of project parts that are stickers or in clamps, everything is back in it's spot.  I think that when you get in the habit of cleaning up at the end of a stint, you will find it easier when you get back in the shop to pick up on the project where you left off because you won't be wasting time trying to locate your tools.

Oh for sure. I'm getting there. I don't have any immediate plans for the shelves below the unit i just built an my goal is to use them for project parts. Currently the biggest thing that interrupts me is chasing parts from one surface to the next because they are always sitting on a horizontal surface used for production. The other thing is items that will just always be strewn about such as pencils. I have remedied this by just having a LOT of them and distributing them through out the shop. Interestingly enough i always carry them from where i need them to where I don't need them.

9 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

the biggest thing that interrupts me is chasing parts from one surface to the next

I have gotten to where I use one of the small rubbermaid carts for parts.  It has two selves that are about 18" X 30".  That way I can roll it to where I need it and all the work surfaces are empty and ready to go.

11 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

The other thing is items that will just always be strewn about such as pencils.

This is a point that has been debated a lot here but I use an apron.  It has a regular pencil, a thin lead mechanical pencil and a thin 6 inch metal rule in the upper pockets.  A tape measure, chalk, eraser, 4 inch double square and sawdust in the lower pockets.  The sawdust seems to be the main point of contention with aprons here on th forum but in woodworking there is going to be sawdust. :)   I just empty out the pockets every few days and then just vacuum out the dust with my CT hose and then put everything back in the pockets.

6 hours ago, Chet said:

I have gotten to where I use one of the small rubbermaid carts for parts.  It has two selves that are about 18" X 30".  That way I can roll it to where I need it and all the work surfaces are empty and ready to go.

This is a point that has been debated a lot here but I use an apron.  It has a regular pencil, a thin lead mechanical pencil and a thin 6 inch metal rule in the upper pockets.  A tape measure, chalk, eraser, 4 inch double square and sawdust in the lower pockets.  The sawdust seems to be the main point of contention with aprons here on th forum but in woodworking there is going to be sawdust. :)   I just empty out the pockets every few days and then just vacuum out the dust with my CT hose and then put everything back in the pockets.

I did try the apron thing. My shop is right on the edge of sweatshirt temperature so i'm always putting on on or talking it off. Wearing an apron got forgotten about quickly. I did like it in my other shop though.

Got the sander in the shop.

5422418967042204250.thumb.jpg.677d3d60042099f45437130d7770f69b.jpg

And on it's bench with the planer. After a quick coat of shellac.

1262645970592575322.thumb.jpg.15d8d26e582b31e7c147ff51498b3bea.jpg

Have to modify the DC And calibrate everything up and then I'll be making some bow arms. The quick adjust handle threw my measurements off. The sander has to over hang slightly. If i don't find myself using it I'll disable it and shove it over a tad.

• Like 1