anyone use beall tool for wood threading kit?

gardnesd

I got the 1/2" 3/4" 1" kit for Christmas this year. Since we have a new baby, I've only had time to try it out a tiny bit and cut a few threads and nuts.

It is a very interesting kit. One thing you really need to make sure is that you support the dowel properly, and don't change the angle of entry at all. Even a small change can throw off the reading enough to make a nut bind up. Take a look at the photo I attached. You can see where it was thrown off just a tiny bit. That amount is enough to bind up the nut.

I intend to make a vice/rest that holds the dowel in place, while letting it rotate, that clamps into the vice along with the router platform that holds the inserts.

post-1802-0-45213500-1297457435_thumb.jp

The taps that they give you are great. I recommend you tap your hole, THEN cut out your nut. And make sure you leave your thickness oversized as well, in case you need to clean up your entry/exit from the tap. A nice side hand countersink can help. (countersink it, then cut your threads for the neatest holes.) Definitely build the recommended tap handle, or something similar.

Of the two processes, threading and tapping, the tapping is the far easier part.