Best varnish for protecting Sitka Spruce Totem

Jak Blue

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new here at WoodTalk Forum.

Need advice please.  

Just ordered a huge block of wood from local sawmill in Leitrim Ireland.  A block of Sitka Spruce to size:  23.6in x 23.6in by 6.5ft long

This is for a totem pole standing straight up when complete.  

Was told today that Sitka Spruce being a soft wood won't last more than 2 years outside in the wet Irish climate.

I did not know this.  Total newb !

QUESTION : what is the best possible way I can treat the block to last as long as possible?

1) The block was only sawed a week ago so still full of moisture right... can I apply wood seal even though it's still so wet?  Must it be cured first?

2) Which wood stain or poxy or wax will protect the wood the best for the longest?

Will appreciate any advice / answers very much.

thanks,

Jak

Agree.

If you can find a way to cover it, or even shade it, that will help immensely.

The formula that I know is 1) Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (for the elements), followed by 2) spar varnish (both elements and sun.)  Expect to re-do the varnish periodically.

(Edit, if you can't keep it under cover, give it a waterproof cap to keep moisture off of the endgrain, and yes, you should probably let it acclimate/dry before finishing.)

Carve it wet, store it to dry, then paint it. Paint is far better at protection from weather than any clear finish I am aware of.

Also, take steps to ensure the end grain at the bottom is out of ground contact, and not standing in water. I also suggest that the top be carved in such a way that enough slope it provided to enforce proper run-off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...