Sliding Dovetail help

Jim Heinbuch

I know than none of you out there have made mistakes on your project. :) I made 4 sliding dovetails but the first one or two are sloppy, i.e. the dovetail dado is too big. Is there an easy way to shim these up? Would gluing in shims be a problem for later glue up? Do I have to redo drawer sides?

I really love reading the forum because it is so helpful for someone like me who is really trying to get better.

Jim

If they are close, take a really thin strip of the wood and glue it to either or both sides of the tail (doing that in the socket is difficult and error prone). Once the glue is set, try it out. If it is now too tight, at least you have something to cut with the router. Make the thin strips stick out beyond the end of the tail board so you can flush trim it later. Make sense?

If they are close, take a really thin strip of the wood and glue it to either or both sides of the tail (doing that in the socket is difficult and error prone). Once the glue is set, try it out. If it is now too tight, at least you have something to cut with the router. Make the thin strips stick out beyond the end of the tail board so you can flush trim it later. Make sense?

Makes a lot of sense Paul. Have you been secretly watching me in my shop?

I know than none of you out there have made mistakes on your project. :) I made 4 sliding dovetails but the first one or two are sloppy, i.e. the dovetail dado is too big. Is there an easy way to shim these up? Would gluing in shims be a problem for later glue up? Do I have to redo drawer sides?

I really love reading the forum because it is so helpful for someone like me who is really trying to get better.

Jim

WHO the hell ever told you we don't make mistakes??????about 90% of a forum like this is all about each of us helping each of us to overcome the inevitable. If you ain't making mistakes you ain't making anything. And certainly nothing worthwhile.

Actually, I do; I have a webcam up in the corner... I learn a lot, but can't for my life figure out why you like to do the glue-ups wearing tights?!

j/k... maybe we just make the same mistakes...

My wife loves me in tights especially if I forget to wear the Cod Piece! Just let me know if we've got the right camera angle

Pete, Paul-Marcel - thanks for the insight. There's always something new to learn from the experts. Tights, who'd have thought it'd work? Of course, coming from Nottingham, mine are green. I'll give it a try next time I'm gluing up. What about when you're screw..., er, putting in screws? Is there a video on the internet somewhere? I'd hate to think I was wearing them wrong or something...

John

Pete, Paul-Marcel - thanks for the insight. There's always something new to learn from the experts. Tights, who'd have thought it'd work? Of course, coming from Nottingham, mine are green. I'll give it a try next time I'm gluing up. What about when you're screw..., er, putting in screws? Is there a video on the internet somewhere? I'd hate to think I was wearing them wrong or something...

John

There was once talk of Marc doing a podcast in Bright yellow ones perhaps you should check this out?

Just saw this, and could not help but chime in. Regarding tights, I vote for Marc! Perhaps around Halloween????

Regarding the dovetails, I concur with Paul Marcel (bonjour, monsieur!). The technique I've learned is, like most things in woodworking, to sneak up on the fine joinery. rolleyes.gif

When you are cutting sliding dovetails, the technique that has helped me to mostly avoid the mistakes is to remove the majority of the material (cut the track) with a straight bit first, keeping it just above the bottom of your final dimensions, and then repeat the cut to complete the dovetail using the dovetail bit.

Regarding mistakes, my friend the cabinet maker here in southern Arizona shared his clarity of thought with me: see my signoff