torque wrench question

Tom King

I'll get some 1" drive sockets by the time I need them.  I still have to build a splitting stand, split the tractor, and fix the forward clutch before it all goes back together, so really won't need this torque wrench until then.  Too cold to work on it this weekend. The tractor is sitting in the building waiting for when I'm able to work on it.

The deal just looked like it was too good to pass up, so I bought it while I could.

I was looking at some smaller versions of this last night on ebay.   The reason the handle looks so pristine is that the long handle goes inside it.   It may have been used a little bit, but by the one scratch on the 1" drive lug, maybe only once.  I contacted the seller to see if they could locate the handle extension, but they say they bought it at an estate sale, and there's little chance of finding the handle.

The seller contacted me back.  He has a whole set of these, less the one I bought.   He has a larger one, that goes up to 1500 ft. lb.  with a 5 foot handle that fits both that one, and mine.  He wants 200 for the big un with handle, or 300 for everything left.

@Brendon_t    the five foot handle looks good, and Snap On price is 680 just for that handle.   I have no need, yet, for one to read to 1500, but looks like the cheapest way to get the right handle.   All part numbers for the different models of the torque wrenches are still in the Snap On price list, and have replacement parts available.

I see that mechanics want the blinking lights, and beeper these days, but I'll have a helper to pull on the handle while I watch the scale, and call stop.

They hadn't finished unloading the truck when they came back from the sale.   I'm anxious to see what else they have.

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

I see that mechanics want the blinking lights, and beeper these days, but I'll have a helper to pull on the handle while I watch the scale, and call stop.

Haha there are torque wrenches that yell at you? C'mon is that really necessary or just amusing? I could see a Fluke meter yelling at me when I had my head under an instrument panel with both hands holding test leads while upside down on my back, checking for continuity, but a torque wrench? Should it report to your smart phone? :) 

I'm feeling old. I think I'll go outside and randomly yell "Get off my lawn!"

• Like 2