motor pulley size engineering question

Tom King

I'm going to change the motor on my 10hp 3 phase compressor to a 7-1/2 hp single phase.  I bought a VFD for it, but after running it some, I'm pretty sure that neither the VFD, nor the motor will have a long life.  I'll just keep the VFD as a spare for the big bandsaw, or some future use.  The 7-1/2 will provide plenty of air for anything I'll use it for.  10 hp is just too complicated to do electrical for at different jobsites, and the service I have to the building where it's used now will be asked to do more pretty soon for an addition.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to downsize the pulley on the motor.   Should the difference be figured simply by the difference in diameter of the pulley?  I'm probably just too tired to think about it clearly, but if anyone knows right off, without guessing, it would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

The difference is 33% i know that for sure.

33% of what? Reduction ratio, small pully diameter, large pully diameter? 

None of the above?

In any case, reducing the motor pully to allow the 7.5 hp motor torque to match the load of the compressor will reduce the rpm of the compressor, and the tank will take longer to fill.

Assuming the synchronous speed of the 7.5 hp 1 phase motor is the same as the 10 hp 3 phase...

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

None of the above?

In any case, reducing the motor pully to allow the 7.5 hp motor torque to match the load of the compressor will reduce the rpm of the compressor, and the tank will take longer to fill.

Assuming the synchronous speed of the 7.5 hp 1 phase motor is the same as the 10 hp 3 phase...

I think i said above either the pully needs to be 33% bigger or smaller. They are measured in diameter right?

I just had it backwards.....

Thinking more clearly this morning, after a good nights sleep, it's much more complicated than a simple ratio.   The power required to spin the pump goes down, non-linear, as the pump rpm's go down.  With the given sizes of drive pulleys for 10, and 15 hp, it will help a lot.   There is a 22% drop in pulley size from 15hp, down to 10hp.   I expect the required power drop, for the 7-1/2hp motor,  will be less than the difference for higher hp motors.  This pump is pressure lubricated, so frictional differences in rpm's might not be as much as with a regular pump.  So it looks like its a Calculus problem, rather than simple Algebra.  

My best friend, an Astrophysicist, is also one of the world's best Mathematicians.  This is the kind of problem he does for a living, and fun.   I'll turn it over to him.

Once figured, pulley can be tried the next step up from calculated size, which will probably not land exactly on available pulley sizes, and tried to see how fast the motor gets warm.  If it doesn't, it should be good.  If it does, I'll go down in pulley size until it runs cool.

18 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

None of the above?

It will absolutely produce less air volume, but there is no way around that.   It still should be a Lot of air.  With 10hp it's 38 cfm at 175 psi.  I know I'll have to wait for it using a rock drill, but should be plenty to run a 3/4" air wrench fast enough for me.  The refrigerated dryer can handle 58 cfm at 100 psi, so that was oversized to start with.  I should still have all the dry air I need almost all of the time.

I didn't find a comparison chart for pressure lubricated Speedaires, but here's one for splash lubricated IR's:

5 hp 14.0 cfm 60.0 gal Vertical 76 in 48 in 40 in Ingersoll Rand $1,840.61
5 hp 14.0 cfm 80.0 gal Vertical 76 in 48 in 40 in Ingersoll Rand $2,259.82
7 1⁄2 hp 24.0 cfm 80.0 gal Vertical 76 in 48 in 40 in Ingersoll Rand $3,351.62
10 hp 34.1 cfm 120.0 gal Horizontal 54 in 69 in 25 in Gamut Approved $3,305.00
10 hp 35.0 cfm 120.0 gal Horizontal 65 in 83 in 36 in Ingersoll Rand $3,790.40
10 hp 35.0 cfm 120.0 gal Vertical 83 in 51 in 46 in Ingersoll Rand $4,121.03
10 hp 34.1 cfm 90.0 gal Vertical 52 in 69 in 24 in Gamut Approved $3,797.98
15 hp 50.0 cfm 120.0 gal Horizontal 54 in 69 in 25 in Gamut Approved $5,659.84
  • Like 1