BOSCH TOOL FANS

Freddie

I somehow became obsessed with bosch tools. Years ago, I randomly received a bosch sawzall for christmas, I never used it. After I got home later on from the army, I was cleaning my closet and I came across it. I asked my dad if bosch was a good brand. He told me it was german made and the germans make good stuff. So from that day on, whether it was true or not, I believed him, and put bosch up on a pedestal. Once i started collectiong tools of my own, I bought the 4100 table saw, the 5312 csms, and my lovely gf bought me the 6.4 amp jig saw and the drill combo set this christmas. I also received the bosch plunge router package and the table as payment for doing a wainscoting job for a friend. I love all these tools, they work great for me. I decided to try the pneumatic nailers. I bought the 16 gauge straight finish nailer, and the 2 inch 18 gauge brad nailer. the first disappointment was that both guns required oil. Secondly, the finish nailer would not drive nails at 90psi. This was not a fluke. I returned the gun and got a NEW one THREE TIMES!!!!!!!!!!! I got so mad on the last one we went into the back room at the tool store and shot like 200 nails into a pallet. The guy was as shocked as I was and I settled for the PC's. I was very upset because I am a tool fanatic and the bosch guns looked stellar, but if you camt drive a nail at 90psi then you need to get your butt out of this line of work.

This kind of flies in the face of the mighty Wood Whisperer but even the best tool manufacturers do not make the best of every tool. I love my Bosch Colt and jigsaw, but that doesn't necessarily mean they make the best brad nailers. Talk to other woodworkers and you'll get a general consensus of the best tools out there. And if that fails, just ask Marc. He LOVES giving out tool recommendations. :D

I tend to not be much of a brand name loyalist....it can be blinding. The tool manufacturer's are typically fans of profit, and not necessarily fan's of mine, so I approach each tool with an open mind. I love my Bosch jigsaw, but only "liked" my 1617 router that most other folks love, and I disliked the Bosch saw blades I've tried....it's all very subjective. Plus, Bosch owns Skil, which I have a fairly low opinion of, based on experiences with their tools and cutters.

knotscott, can I assume you were talking about the Bosch round saw blades cause I think that their jigsaw blades are the best I've ever used?

Yes...sorry, should have been clearer. I didn't like the blue 7-1/4" circular saw blades much, but I do like the jigsaw blades.

My main point remains though...you can't assume high quality on every product from any single brand...Bosch included, and quality aside, there's never a guarantee that you'll actually like every product from any brand.

Well as sad as it may be, most of Bosch really isn't Bosch at all. Most companies out source (to the lowest bidder i.e. China) the products they sell. That is the reason some stuff is great and sum are just junk. I can remember when Skil was up there with Milwaukee, but then, Milwaukee is not up there anymore. Out sourcing is hurting this country in many ways. We are losing jobs and the product quality is going downhill rapidly, but the product is much more affordable if you have a job.

I'll begin with sayings I too own a Bosch brad nailer (and a router and the new 12" glide saw & I used to have a 4100 TS). My first impressions of the Bosch mailer are a little less then stellar, but I can't be sure as my compressor broke half way through the 1st project.

I'll also echo Chad's comments in that each brand has some fuss. I always try to pick the brand of tool I feel is best in the category rather then the one that matches my others. This strategy has led me to currently own cordless tools from 4 different manufacturers, yet I like them all.

"My first impressions of the Bosch mailer are a little less then stellar"--is that Bosch Postal Service-BPS :P

I would have to agree, you have to research every product and choose the best. I had PC nailer for many yrs and when it died I went to pick up another one only to find out they were out of them. I bought a Hitachi, what a joke!! All plastic and wouldn't fire 2 in a row to save my life. I brought it back, ordered a PC and have been happy ever since (even so I don't use it very much). It sure would be nice if you when you need a tool you could just go buy the same brand everytime but that is just asking for it!!

Nate

I used to get that twinkle in my eye when I saw bosch tools too! Somehow I always had in my mind that they made better products than the rest. They do make some great things, but like others have said, not all of the tools made by one brand is always going to be the best of that specific tool. I have a Bosch router and love it. I loved it sooooo much that when I got a great deal on a PC that I never used it because I was partial to the Bosch. Finally I decided to use the PC router and after some time with it, I prefer it to my Bosch. It just felt better in my hands and easier to adjust. My Bosch still has a special place in my heart, but I reach for my PC when I want to get the job done. Now I have 3 PC routers and only one Bosch. I would still buy a Bosch tool but I try to buy the "better" brand depending on the specific tool. Only brand that I don't consider is Festool. Only because I can't swing the $$$. Most of my tool purchases are when the deals roll around. I don't think that I have paid above 50% of the price of a (power) tool, except for a handful of them. The Bosch router was one of them.

Well as sad as it may be, most of Bosch really isn't Bosch at all. Most companies out source (to the lowest bidder i.e. China) the products they sell.

I know what you mean, but Bosch is an exeption between the money hungry companies. It is for a large part (92%) owned by a charitable foundation and a large part of the profits go to a good cause.

Bosch on wikipedia

I always look at the quality of a tool first, but when quality is as good as equal between brands, I always choose Bosch.

regards,

Philippe