Tips for spraying water based finish

sw1

I am going to spray some water based GF high performance poly with my HVLP and I had some questions. Do you have to clean the gun between sprays? I can usually re-coat in 2 hours, so I am thinking that the gun might dry up in that time also. I always hesitate to spray small projects because it takes much longer to clean up than it does to spray a small box. I also have to spray outside, so I am waiting on the humidity to drop some.

Any tips or suggestions for spraying with water based would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

The pot life is several days with the High Performance, but I would clean my gun at the end of the day. However, between coats I like to soak my air cap in a jar of lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol. The reason is water-based topcoats dry fast and will booger up and clog the air cap air holes, which can affect the quality of your spray finish.

Water-based will dry slower in cool or humid weather. The 2 hours is for "ideal" conditions. The key to spray water-based is to spray thin even coats. I usually spray 3 coats and call it done. My last coat, I will apply just a little heavier, till the finish comes off the gun looking a wee bit orange peel and the finish has an ever so light blue cast to it.

Good luck and once your become a proficient sprayer and see those nice finishes coming off the gun...cleaning that spray gun is like having a cigarette after sex :rolleyes:

-Ace-

edited for spelling

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1

The pot life is several days with the High Performance, but I would clean my gun at the end of the day. However, between coats I like to soak my air cap in a jar of lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol. The reason is water-based topcoats dry fast and will booger up and clog the air cap air holes, which can affect the quality of your spray finish.

Water-based will dry slower in cool or humid weather. The 2 hours is for "ideal" conditions. The key to spray water-based is to spray thin even coats. I usually spray 3 coats and call it done. My last coat, I will apply just a little heavier, till the finish comes off the gun looking a wee bit orange peel and the finish has an ever so light blue cast to it.

Good luck and once your become a proficient sprayer and see those nice finishes coming off the gun...cleaning that spray gun is like having a cigarette after sex :rolleyes:

-Ace-

edited for spelling

Ace,

I am so glad you responded as you have been much help to me in the past. I took your recommendation and laid down 3 coats on some shop cabinets today. I spray outside, so I brought the gun in between coats and just took off the air cap. I soaked mine in water because I didn't have anything else available. I am so happy I could take up smoking again!! I have been using brushes etc on small projects because I didn't want to clean the gun between coats. With this technique I can shoot the small stuff and get great results. I really love GF products and I am totally sold on water based for the ease of cleanup. Thanks a million for helping me to change over to spraying everything.

Shawn

Why lacquer thinner for soaking the tip if it's water based? Is that recommended? Would you use something stronger than water to clean the whole gun as well? I'm asking because I'm also about to spray the same finish in the new week or so.

Also, is there a solvent that might leave residue in the gun that might affect waterborne finishes? I've heard there are waterborne cleaners, I'm assuming it's meant to take care of stuff like this.

Shawn...no problem, your welcome!

Bob...soaking in water won't dissolve any dried on finish. I wash my gun out thoroughly with water. Then spray denatured alcohol through the gun to rid the gun of water that could cause gun parts to rust. As to the lacquer thinner for the air cap, In my opinion it does a better job than denatured alcohol on the stubborn dried finish. As a precaution a quick rinse in the alcohol will remove lacquer residue.

-Ace-