Finishing new sheesham dining table

AMCDC

First time poster here.  I recently purchased a two-tone solid sheesham dining table that i want to protect as much as possible.  It came with a factory film finish but I want something that will be pretty resistant to liquids, etc. that I dont have to worry about all the time.  Factory finish is very smooth but can't tell if its satin or flat (has the slightest hint of shine). I want to do this myself. 

Doing some research here (and sites like houzz) it seems that General Finishes High Performance Water Flat might be the best/easiest option - and following their directions for previously finished/high traffic application (clean with dna, sand with 220 sponge, clean, wait, apply 3 times).  Comments on Amazon seem to suggest the HP flat is not completely flat so wondering if it might be the best option here.

Any different or additional tips?  Is there anything special about sheesham that would prevent me from being able to do this?  

I am far from a finishing expert but make sure that whatever you use is compatible with what is already on there.  You might want to consider a caot or 2 of dewaxed shellac first since it is compatible with any finish.  Satin ARm-R Seal by General Finish would not be a bad choice.  It wears well.

I spray both General finishes' High Performance and EnduroVar Satin all the time and they have a real nice but low sheen.  If I was you I would see if there is a Woodcraft  or Rockler  store and go in and get a small can of the satin and try it on a nicely sanded scrap and see how you like the sheen.  

You are going to want to sand very lightly between your coats with 400 grit paper just to knock down the dust nibs.

• Like 1