Tormek Owners...

Ron Swanson Jr.

Does anyone out there with a Tormek have a solution for quieting the vibration of the water tank? It drives me absolutely nuts!

It's so nice and quiet of a machine, and the constant vibration of the water reservoir is just annoying as can be. I haven't really invested any time to try to solve it yet, this is my first step posting this message. Thanks

1 hour ago, applejackson said:

Does anyone out there with a Tormek have a solution for quieting the vibration of the water tank? It drives me absolutely nuts!

It's so nice and quiet of a machine, and the constant vibration of the water reservoir is just annoying as can be. I haven't really invested any time to try to solve it yet, this is my first step posting this message. Thanks

I have one but I don't ever remember a vibration of the reservoir. I'll take a gander out to the shop tomorrow and see if I have that issue and report back

• Thanks 1

What I understand is you're only supposed to use CBN for high speed steel, which does not include plane blades and carpenter's chisels.  You can get away with the occaisional piece of carbon steel, but more frequent use will clog the surface of the wheel.

52 minutes ago, Mark J said:

What I understand is you're only supposed to use CBN for high speed steel, which does not include plane blades and carpenter's chisels.  You can get away with the occaisional piece of carbon steel, but more frequent use will clog the surface of the wheel.

I did a bunch of research before I bought, and using it confirms, it works with any hardened steel.  The clogging comes from non-hardened, or softer materials like brass.  If it does clog it can be "cleaned" by sharpening a hss scraper.  It may take a few attempts, but it cleans right up.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

I did a bunch of research before I bought, and using it confirms, it works with any hardened steel.  The clogging comes from non-hardened, or softer materials like brass.  If it does clog it can be "cleaned" by sharpening a hss scraper.  It may take a few attempts, but it cleans right up.

I'm very interested in what you're saying; it would save me from having to buy a second grinder.  The story as I had it came from Woodturning Wonders, but I admit I didn't investigate any farther.  Could you share your research?

I thought I saved my searches, but only 2 were saved.   The most informative is here https://www.tormek.com/forum/index.php?topic=3252.0

the second is the D-way youtube has some general info, though it is mostly about turning.  I like to make hunting knives when I am not woodworking, so one my primary interests in the CBN wheel was refining the shape before heat treat.  But it turns out that this will clog up the CBN.  But after heat treat/tempering the wheels do a great job.  I use O1 steel for my knives and have not had any clogging issues.  One thing I forgot to mention, the wheels can be cleaned with kerosene and a toothbrush, it is tedious because the wheel has to stationary, but it can be done.

• Thanks 1