Understanding Long Term Wood Movement

V4Slabs

Hello, I am ready to install the mounting legs on my slab dining table. I want to include one or two c-channel beams to help keep the slab flat over time. When attaching the c-channels and the mounting (trapezoid legs), how do you account for future wood movement?

Metal legs are generally installed by having a slotted hole in the metal mounting bracket so that the screw can move slightly as the wood expands and contracts. 

For a slab table like this one (photo taken from Crate and Barrel). Most of the wood movement will be in the direction of the blue arrows. Movement in the other directions will be negligible. Therefore, the slots/holes in the legs will be elongated in the same direction. The holes in the middle can be normal, but the outer holes need to be slotted or oversized enough to allow movement of the screws.

Capture.thumb.JPG.01b861713f53c8f312a7abe35a9b2c61.JPG

Wood movement is a force to be reckoned with. Depending on the size of the slab and C channels, they may or may not actually do anything to keep the slab flat. Proper drying and milling is far more important.

• Like 1