Grizzly 17" bandsaw ... how good or bad is it?

Bobby Slack

So I am taking the first step to a bandsaw and wanted to get something reasonable.

Application resaw for bent lamination and may be to make my own veneer.

Maximum height for resawing, I don't see going over 8"

So this bandsaw will be a combination of resaw and joinery (for tenons on long pieces).

How bad is this grizzly?

How bad is the service?

I considered a jet but is too much money for me I don't have $ 1,200 bucks.

I bought mine about 2 1/2 years ago and have been very satisfied. I have the model G0513x2 and I haven't found anything that slowed it down, including resawing 10" wide maple. The only issue is the crap blade that came with it.

I think there is a newer model that adds a foot brake to the machine. This would be handy because the cast iron wheels have lots of inertia which keeps it spinning for over a minute after I shut it off.

I have the G0457 which is a 14" and resaw 10" wide maple and walnut all the time with zero problems and it take 3/4" blades and comes with a tall resaw fence. Saw is tremendous. When I called the office to ask about the shipping they were very helpful. The only thing that I don't like is the blade length is 106" where 105" is pretty standard so I can only get custom length blades. And throw away the blade that comes with the saw.

If you order from a real bandsaw blade company, it won't cost you anything extra for a custom length. Suffolk Machinery will make blades to any length you want, and their Timberwolf blades are excellent. The price is just dependent on the length -- longer blades cost more. I was being overly precise when I ordered bandsaw blades from them for my 1940's era Walker-Turner bandsaw, and ordered 112-1/2" blades. That's what they sent me, no extra charge, although I bet they were laughing their heads off at my order. ;)

Plus, they have a buy two get one free offer for February. Can't beat that.

How bad is this grizzly?

How bad is the service?

The question shouldnt be how bad it is, it should be how good is it. THey may be a cheaper foreign made tool, but they are top notch in customer service. I have a Griz 14" BS and a 12" jointer. Love them both. I put a little bit into the BS(bearings, guides, fence), but I got good deals on them. I also hvae a 12" baby drum sander and a mortiser. LOVE the baby drum, and havent used the mortiser a whole lot yet. As for their bigger BS, they just won Top Tool in a FWW tool review. THey do make a great tool, and I will get another sometime.As for blade length, you can find pretty much any blade for the 17" saw.. I just looked at a few and found the length that you would need...

Sac.

Thank you for a thoughtful answer. I love having a 2 HP motor for a reasonable price and being able to use a resaw blade on it.

This will be my multi purpose bandsaw. When I get into form bending I will probably get a sander as well.

Eventually their 12" helical head jointer and a planer.

I will be pretty much set with these beasts.

For now I am finding a way of investing on the bandsaw. I looked in Craigs list to see if there were any deals around here but ... no luck.

Probably I will get this bandsaw within a month.

The question shouldnt be how bad it is, it should be how good is it. THey may be a cheaper foreign made tool, but they are top notch in customer service. I have a Griz 14" BS and a 12" jointer. Love them both. I put a little bit into the BS(bearings, guides, fence), but I got good deals on them. I also hvae a 12" baby drum sander and a mortiser. LOVE the baby drum, and havent used the mortiser a whole lot yet. As for their bigger BS, they just won Top Tool in a FWW tool review. THey do make a great tool, and I will get another sometime.As for blade length, you can find pretty much any blade for the 17" saw.. I just looked at a few and found the length that you would need...