Gloves for finishing

woodcanuck

I've been experimenting a bit with the whole wipe-on varnish approach and encountered an interesting experience.

I have a box of latex gloves in the workshop that I use from time to time (not really sure where they came from, but I use them on occasion without issue). I was wearing a pair while I tried wiping on some thinned down varnish and after a few minutes, they actually began to disintegrate...just at the finger tips where they were exposed to the finish.

Soooo...I'm guessing these aren't the right gloves to wear for this (although my finger nails have that 'spa' look, my wife is jealous).

What gloves do people use for hand applied finishes and is there something specific to look for depending on the solvent you're using in your finish?

I've been experimenting a bit with the whole wipe-on varnish approach and encountered an interesting experience.

I have a box of latex gloves in the workshop that I use from time to time (not really sure where they came from, but I use them on occasion without issue). I was wearing a pair while I tried wiping on some thinned down varnish and after a few minutes, they actually began to disintegrate...just at the finger tips where they were exposed to the finish.

Soooo...I'm guessing these aren't the right gloves to wear for this (although my finger nails have that 'spa' look, my wife is jealous).

What gloves do people use for hand applied finishes and is there something specific to look for depending on the solvent you're using in your finish?

Ian,

The Latex gloves are disintegrating because the oil solvents in the varnish are actually pretty effective solvents for Latex rubber as well. Nitrile gloves will stand up to most finishing products pretty well. I prefer the heavy duty ones that you can buy in automotive stores.

Just a quick note, nitrile gloves are not a panacea for complete chemical protection. While they work pretty well for oil based finishes, and should have no problems with water based finishes, there are many chemicals that will pass right through the gloves. As I understand it, some of these chemicals commonly found in various chemical finish strippers, so I would recommend checking the MSDS sheets for them to make sure you have the correct protective equipment.

Tim

Casting my vote for nitrile gloves as well. The one and only thing I buy from Harbor Freight.

Harbor Freight, they are on sale all of the time and right now they have 20% coupons everywhere. There are a few things there that are worth buying. A lot of times i'll buy one of their tools when i know i'm going to destroy it or when making a specialty tool for the bikes.

I know that HD sells nitrile, latex, and rubber gloves in individual packs. They're thicker and a bit more durable than the boxed variety, but, more importantly, they have a long list of chemicals on the back, along with the appropriate gloves to wear when handling them!

Harbor Freight, they are on sale all of the time and right now they have 20% coupons everywhere. There are a few things there that are worth buying. A lot of times i'll buy one of their tools when i know i'm going to destroy it or when making a specialty tool for the bikes.

Yup, HF Gloves here to.