Help with interior wood

liz

Hi,

I am new to the forum and need all your expertise! I live in an older house that has nice old window frames, some old wood columns and some new rough wooden beams put in.  I bought the house ten years ago, with all these features but have noticed over time, that the wood has started to dull/fade.  Is there anything I can do to reinvigorate the wood without refinishing it? There is too much wood for me to take on a project like that!  Also, any suggestions how I could match the pillars (in picture 3) to a colour closer to the rough beams on top of the pillars?  Thank you so much in advance! I love wood!

LizIMG_3982-1.jpeg.9b35767a9dbd39c562c6a6ddb91618a4.jpegIMG_3980.jpeg.ad1de3858d846dc8bc04b37df68ad14b.jpegIMG_3985.jpeg.fc189925585759d152bfcc7b17104cea.jpeg

I would start by cleaning the wood surfaces with something like Murphy's Oil Soap. Dust & Grime make for a dull finish.

As for color matching, the texture of the beams will always make them appear a bit darker, all else being the same. There are several approaches to getting a close match, but that may be more than you want to tackle. I suggest the cleaning first, then re-evaluate.

• Like 1