Filling gap in my bartop

Anders

This is my first bartop ever built. It's going to be in a screened in porch, so I'm using spar varnish to give it max protection. I've got 4 coats on the top done and as you can see I've still got this pesky gap on top. I was told that the spar urethane would just fill the gap.....well I'm sorry I listened to that advice because that's not happening. If I want to seal this gap without starting over what are my options? I thought of taping it off and running some epoxy in the gap, and then maybe sanding and varnishing for a final coat. Any help is greatly appreciated20200514_111530.thumb.jpg.a094be06e026a8add34bc61a97d4e0c2.jpg

Assuming the screened in porch is actually open to the outside air, the bar top will experience humidity changes, and @rainjer has a good point. The expansion & contraction from humidity swings could crack or separate the epoxy. Clear Lexel caulk is good about remaining flexible after it cures, but does not become cloudy over time, like silicone does.

I would tape closely down each side of the gap, run a bead of Lexel, then press it into the gap tightly, with a fingertip. Repeat until the gap is full (you may need to close the underside with tape), making sure the caulk is flush with the top surface, or slightly below. Then remove the masking tape on the top before the caulk cures, as it will be difficult afterwards, and don't disturb it for a day.  I would finish with the poly first, and allow it to cure before adding the caulk.