Prescription Safety Glasses

Say it with me: "The most important safety rule is to wear these... safety glases." :) Even my wife can quote that one.

I've been avoiding it for too long, but it's time to get serious about eye safety in my shop. I always wear my "street" glasses, but I have been shopping around for a real set of safety glasses that can be used in the shop. Does anybody have a pair that they like? Did you get them from your optometrist, or online?

At my eye exam this week, I asked them to show me their selection of safety wear and they pulled a single dusty pair from a bottom desk drawer. Think 1960's shop teacher with plastic side shields and you have the picture. Call me crazy, but I'm looking for a nice wrap-around pair that looks more modern.

Any ideas or good sources? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I got some WileyX SG-1 frames off ebay and had high impact prescription lenses put in them.

I figure if they are good enough to stop a bullet they are good enough to stop wood.

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductDetail.aspx?ActivityCode=SAFETY&SeriesCode=800&ProductLine=832,SG1V&ItemCode=70

large_70.jpg

I didn't get the V-CUT version and I wish I had. The standard ones tend to fog up on me at times.

That is an excellent question, Aaron. I hope you get some good answers. I'm far sighted, and wear plastic bi-focal safety glasses that I bought from Grizzly. The problem I have is wearing them safely while also wearing my respirator dust mask. The glasses are just perched on top of my mask and I have trouble seeing clearly while performing certain tasks. So, alot of the time I decide on eye protection and don't wear the dust mask - thus keeping my eyes and fingers safe while risking my lungs. It sure would be nice to find a good solution since I can't wear contacts.

I got some WileyX frames off ebay and had high impact prescription lenses put in them.

I figure if they are good enough to stop a bullet they are good enough to stop wood.

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductDetail.aspx?ActivityCode=SAFETY&SeriesCode=800&ProductLine=832,SG1V&ItemCode=70

large_70.jpg

I didn't get the V-CUT version and I wish I had. The standard ones tend to fog up on me at times.

How well do they fit over your dust mask/respirator?

I couldn't get my goggles, prescription glasses, and respirator to all share my nose. I switched from goggles to a face shield (the kind turners use) and that solved the problem. My regular glasses and respirator get along fine.

My regular glasses have safety lenses, but the problem isn't that a piece of wood is going to hit the glasses hard enough to break them, it's that a piece of wood will sneak in the sides or bottom. I got some cement in my eye that way. So, for wood working, etc, I want to wear a face shield or goggles.

How well do they fit over your dust mask/respirator?

Work decent with my respirator! And everything else I use them with. :) you should see me when I'm using the 20" chainsaw :D.... Chaps, steel toed boots, these glasses, respirator, in ear noise cancelling headphones, denim shirt, leather gloves, and a snowboarding helmet. That chainsaw scares the crap out of me!

My regular glasses have safety lenses, but the problem isn't that a piece of wood is going to hit the glasses hard enough to break them, it's that a piece of wood will sneak in the sides or bottom. I got some cement in my eye that way. So, for wood working, etc, I want to wear a face shield or goggles.

That's why I went with prescription military goggles like these.

post-1793-0-48121300-1299092120_thumb.jp

"But wait there is more!!!" they even work in the kitchen :) Actually I had just come in from the shop a few days ago and my wife texted me to make dinner. She insisted she had to take a pic of me in that state when she got home and found me like this.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Keep them coming!

Nik, those are great. Very similar to what I'm looking for. I also was looking at the Romer II. If they are comfortable enough that you walk into the house with them still on that's a good sign.

Keggers, I have the 3M 7500 series respirator that Marc also uses. The face piece is nice and soft, and doesn't get in the way of my normal glasses. You might want to check that out.

I wear some ESS Ice goggles with prescription inserts, got them for shooting, but found they worked well for riding my motorcycle with the face shield open, but works well for woodworking as well.

They are pricey, but offer good wraparound impact protection, but are well ventilated so my lenses don't fog.

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE---Profile-Rx-Lens-Inserts_63_detail.html

I wear some ESS Ice goggles with prescription inserts, got them for shooting, but found they worked well for riding my motorcycle with the face shield open, but works well for woodworking as well.

They are pricey, but offer good wraparound impact protection, but are well ventilated so my lenses don't fog.

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE---Profile-Rx-Lens-Inserts_63_detail.html

Pricey for normal safety goggles, but not compared to prescription glasses I think. My eye doctor wanted over $250 for his vintage 1960 hipster style safety glasses.

Pricey for normal safety goggles, but not compared to prescription glasses I think. My eye doctor wanted over $250 for his vintage 1960 hipster style safety glasses.

Yea I payed $50 for frames off ebay and then it was almost $200 to get the RX put in them.

I looked at the Ice goggles but I was worried that the sawdust in the air would get in between the Rx lens and the protective one.... making it a pain to clean. How hard are they to clean?

It's not too hard to do. The prescription lens insert is mounted on the nose piece, which snaps onto the bottom of the protective lens. To clean it you just remove the nose piece, which allows access to the two inner surfaces. As a plus, if the outer lens gets scratched, you just replace it with another one. And they have tinted lenses as well as clear or amber ones.

But you will get dust on the inner surfaces. If that's a problem for you, you might want to look at a goggle but I've always had a problem with fogging with those.

On the plus side I've had mine for years now, and haven't babied them. They have held up real well.