Twin Bed design?

Was wondering if anyone had the exact dimensions for a twin bed design? I want to build my son his first "Big boy" bed...but really have nothing to go from. I have seen many online plans...but dont exactly trust the measurements as they tend to differ. Any first hand experience on this?

Here's a link for standard dimensions of furniture. It includes two types of twin mattresses.

http://www.google.ca/m/url?client=safari&ei=Cj9yTbj_B6Ldtgew-tQx&hl=en&oe=UTF-8&q=http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/library/furnituredimensions.pdf&ved=0CBEQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGEIpHhT8KFikJJR54oy8r5Py6XyA

I know, I don't ascribe to 'standards' either when designing, but makes for a good starting point :)

I recently purchased a queen bed, and am in the process of building the frame for it. I ran across a posting on Instructables.com stating the full size bed he was building it for was fifty inches by seventy inches. Not sure if the length is accurate, though, as the queen size I'm attempting to build for is 80 inches long, and I thought most beds were roughly the same length.

I'd argue that the frame size depends also on the style of frame you build. A captain's bed, for example, takes more material and is longer than a Shaker style. Platform beds, while very similar to the captain's bed, have the advantage of not needing the box spring, and can usually be built from one sheet of plywood.

Keep in mind, if your son will ever need the XL size twin bed (like mine), you will need to add about 9 inches to the end of the frame.

I found a link (I have it bookmarked myself) for bed dimensions.

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/furniture/beds.htm

The chart shows different lengths for both Twin size and Youth size. Twin size is listed as 39" wide, and either 75", 80", or 84" long. A Youth bed is listed as 33" or 36" wide, and either 66" or 76" long.

So I second that comment on sizing the frame based off the mattress you purchase. Don't forget to add space for sheets and blankets, and if the bed will be used as a seat at all. Also, if you plan any underbed storage, figure this in to the dimensions now. You'd be surprised just how quickly that space disappears.