general finishes product dilemma

larry t

couple of years ago -- used "GF gel topcoat wipe on urethane satin" over unfinished walnut and was not only pleased with the results but it seemed pretty idiot proof to apply which is important to me as finishing is my weakest set of skills -- gravitated away from that GF product to formbys tung oil finish which is no longer available -- can't seem to find that exact GF product now -- closest i can get is 'GF oil based gel topcoat satin' -- are these the same product ? both appear to be oil based topcoats with urethane -- just changed the name and the color of the can ?? it is impossible to talk to anyone at general finishes -- got a variety of yes  they are and no they aren't answers from posting a question on AMZ -- with apologies if i am being too picky / anal but it worked well before and i would prefer not to end up with a can of different stuff --

appreciate if anyone here has some guidance for me -- many thanks !!

many thanks -- that was where i was pointed when i found out that formbys had been acquired by minwax (aside: the customer service rep i spoke with at minwax said they have no plans to reissue the formbys recipe as a minwax product -- they are retiring it) -- i tried the minwax tung oil and had issues --  in the past with formbys on tabletops, desktops followed by a coat or two of johnsons paste wax -- never had a problem with water/moisture stains -- but after using the minwax on a couple of standing dog feeders i made --i had to re-finish the top of one after 2 weeks due to the water stains -- still had a half cup of formbys left in the can so i used it and it is clearly thicker, more oily than the minwax product -- my other change was to use clarks cutting board finish paste wax instead of the johnsons -- on top of both a minwax finished stand (feeder 3) and the formbys finished stand (feeder 2) -- need to re-finish feeder 4 due to the water stain issue (feeder 4a,  4b) -- my woodworking mentor pointed me back to the GF topcoat -- need to re-emphasize -- finishing is not my strong suit -- so any comments, suggestions, guidance -- greatly appreciated -- thank you !

feeder 1.jpeg

feeder 2.jpg

feeder 3.jpg

feeder 4.jpg

feeder 4a.jpg

feeder 4b.jpg

• Like 1

You might consider an hardwax oil finish, such as Osmo PolyX-Oil.  These are floor finishing products that turn out to be a good choice for furniture.  They are easy to apply and repair.  I can't speak directly to the question of water resistance; other members here may have experience.