Do you know where your compressor has been?

Stampy

I was just outside today putting some trim on the newly reno-ed workshop, and had the Porter Cable pancake compressor outside with me. I've had this for about 5 years or so and have been religiously venting the tank every day I use it and making sure that it is on an angle when not in use so as to let moister drain out of the vent at the bottom. Untill today I have only used it maybe half a dozen times since the fall but have not tilted the unit over to let water drain. How much could there be right?

I opened the vent today outside, and picked the unit up to carry it inside, then I noticed the brown stream of rust I had left behind me.

I now have a new task ahead of me.

So be warned.....DRAIN YOUR TANKS!

On another note....the nose peice I lost in the fall from my trim nailer (outside again) came into plain view in my wifes garden. 15 feet away from where I had dropped it.

That was my day.

Now it's time for a beer and watch the hockey game. ;)

Stampy

Stampy,

My PC compressor is about 8yrs old and I drain it after each use. And yes, I have rust. Sometimes I run the compressor with the bottom valve open in hope of pushing any condensed water out. As far as finding anything in the garden, we are still 4 to 5 weeks away as there is 48"+ of snow piled up out there.

Mark

Sometimes I run the compressor with the bottom valve open in hope of pushing any condensed water out.

I did this about 3 weeks ago and there wasn't a drop of water on the floor afterward. However about a 1/3 of a cup came out today.

So make sure to tip your compressor so that the valve is at the low point so the water will flow out.

Oh and sorry about that snow Mark.

Stampy

All air compressor tanks have rust in them. It is just the nature of the beast. Unless you live in a humidity free world, somehow.

Had a friend bring me a compressor that was "acting up". When I pulled forward in his truck it sloshed. I looked at him and asked when is the last time you drained the tank. He looked at me confused and said never. Tried to open the valve and no go. Got the pipe wrench and removed the petcock. About eight gallons out of a twelve gallon compressor. Whacha gonna do? Put in a new valve, gave the speech, sent him on is way.

Remember, always make sure your dog has fresh water.

or something like that

All air compressor tanks have rust in them. It is just the nature of the beast. Unless you live in a humidity free world, somehow.

Had a friend bring me a compressor that was "acting up". When I pulled forward in his truck it sloshed. I looked at him and asked when is the last time you drained the tank. He looked at me confused and said never. Tried to open the valve and no go. Got the pipe wrench and removed the petcock. About eight gallons out of a twelve gallon compressor. Whacha gonna do? Put in a new valve, gave the speech, sent him on is way.

Remember, always make sure your dog has fresh water.

or something like that

Good friend was moving away and wanted to give me his old compressor. Asked him how often he drained it, puzzled look and said never. I passed.

Good friend was moving away and wanted to give me his old compressor. Asked him how often he drained it, puzzled look and said never. I passed.

Typically a tank is made to outlast a motor. That being said I have seen two exploded. One was an eighty gallon that was being adjusted for more pressure. Took that moron's leg off. Yes off. The other one was in the corner of a garage and blew a hole in the back wall. Broke at the weld.

No one ever said all power tools were safe.