Mallets for chisels

JimB1

Any preferences in mallets for working with chisels?

I'm not a carver and am really thinking more about chiseling dovetails and mortises. I see several shapes, sizes and weights around. How do you know what to get for what purpose???

Price wise they are all over the map from $8 - $100+

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Jim

I use a 1 lb mallet the most, a 2 lbs mallet when needing finer control in harder wood. The 1 lb would suffice. I like the round cylindrical head mallets and usually grab the head with thumb and forefinger with the rest on the handle; gives great control for finer work; of course whacking at the chisel is just a full-hand grip on the handle and some grunting. This is the one I use.

I went a different route and got this from Lee Valley:

My link

What I like about it is how much control I feel I have, especially with dovetailing. But, that's just personal preference, I have used larger beech mallet's years ago and thought they were okay too. It is quite heavy for its size.

I got a 14 oz polyurethane "Wood is Good" mallet from, I think, The Best Things. A bit pricey, but It's fantastic. Can't recommend it enough. The soft plastic always registers on the chisel head, even if you give it a glancing blow. If you have Japanese chisels, you can use a metal hammer, but I have little expertise with that style. This guy also does a lot of mallets, and I recall seeing a bunch of cutting boards at Ikea . . . . .

http://www.wkfinetools.com/tMaking/art/perfectMallet/pMallet1.asp

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/jThompson/restore/smallTools/smallTools-2.asp

I put aside my wood mallet and started using a 1 lb dead blow hammer I got at Harbor Freight for about 8 bucks. The plastic faces don't damage the chisel handles and the deadblow feature feels like it is more in control. Best of all it is a hideous bright orange, so I don't lose it on my bench.

I've been using a Marples Squarish head mallet, about 20 ounces, for years and love it. There's a lot of control with this size and I'm not worried about rolling the edges of chisels. I used a rubber mallet for a long time, but for me the wood gives an immediate feedback.

I can feel when the chisels need sharpening, I can feel when I need to add a little more something behind the swing and more importantly when to back off some of that something.