14" craftsman bandsaw

jimmykx250

I fell into a local guy looking to move and give up woodworking all-together!??!? (back problems) Well this guy has a basement

full of stuff some sweet some not so sweet but he did offer me his 14" craftsman band saw with kreg fence for 200 bucks which seems really cheap- looks like he hardley ever used it. Cant find much info on the net as far as reviews and i know that sears discontinued the saw itself. is it worth it? He also has a crafstman cabinet style (pro series) table saw with beismeyer fence he is offering for 300 bucks- I didnt mention the set of stairs all this stuff needs to go up!!! Both saw are approx 5 to 6 years old tops. Any opinions?

I have had that same band saw for years now and I've been more than happy with it thus far. I got mine at a steal about 5 years ago. So far it's exceeded my expectations. Recently I've thought of upgrading, but I just can't seem to justify it. The Craftsman has performed admirably for me and even when I do eventually up-grade I'm likely to keep it.

As far as getting it up the stairs, my advice is don't have the guy with the bad back help you. BTW - does he have any nice planes in that basement? I'm always looking.

I have had that same band saw for years now and I've been more than happy with it thus far. I got mine at a steal about 5 years ago. So far it's exceeded my expectations. Recently I've thought of upgrading, but I just can't seem to justify it. The Craftsman has performed admirably for me and even when I do eventually up-grade I'm likely to keep it.

As far as getting it up the stairs, my advice is don't have the guy with the bad back help you. BTW - does he have any nice planes in that basement? I'm always looking.

Chet-

50% of his stuff is off brand stuff- I did notice he has an air cleaner he is selling for 75 bucks and he has the dc i have from HF. Some of his stuff is central machinery- which i think is cheap. Not to many hand tools though.

$200 for that BS (22401 - Rikon clone), and $300 for the 22124 Steel City/Orion hybrid saw are both very nice deals on two of best Craftsman tools that have been available in the past decade or so IMHO. Both were popular and have large mainly happy followings. Without question I'd grab both if they're in nice shape. Even if you don't want the TS, you should have no trouble turning it into $100-$200 for something you do want. The BS is known for needing to replace the guide bearings, but some ABEC 5 or ABEC 7 roller blade bearings, it's a 10-15 minute job that'll cost $10-$15....money well spent. The TS should be good to go as is.

I would not expect these to be available for long at those prices.

Jimmy - Did you buy either of them?

Not yet- im torn on the band saw because i already have a 12" delta that i inherited from my dad wich has some meaning to me. It seems like a good deal although i dont have the model # i only know it's all black (mostly) VERY clean, has a kreg fence on it and has a base built into it. You interested? The table saw is an unbeliveable good deal.

Not yet- im torn on the band saw because i already have a 12" delta that i inherited from my dad wich has some meaning to me. It seems like a good deal although i dont have the model # i only know it's all black (mostly) VERY clean, has a kreg fence on it and has a base built into it. You interested? The table saw is an unbeliveable good deal.

I've got the 12" Cman Rikon clone and have been pretty happy with it. For $200 I'd definitely jump on the 14" if was for sale in my neck of the woods. Also had the 22124 TS for 3-1/2 years and loved it... I now have a 3hp Shop Fox cab saw, but I was very happy with the 22124. Hard to believe they haven't been snapped up yet.

This guy hasent advertised yet! I just got back from his place on my way home I bought 20 jorgy wood screw clamps 4 jet 6" F clamps 3 small block planes and slickplane (edge roundover plane) 32 assorted carbide tip router bits mostly rockler brand (1 cabinet door set yellow color ) And a 9" & 6"X48" disk/belt sander , 2 slabs of wood one walnut the other not sure and a oscilating spindle sander and he threw in a rockler dovetail jig for free. All for 200 bucks

The Kreg fence is $107 alone and the Biesemeyer is about $350 alone, both new. I would get them if I needed them. Even if you took the good stuff for yourself and put older stuff back on and sold them to get your money back. I have a 10" Craftsman RAS for free if someone wants to come get it! Fair shape.

• 2 weeks later...

I fell into a local guy looking to move and give up woodworking all-together!??!? (back problems) Well this guy has a basement

full of stuff some sweet some not so sweet but he did offer me his 14" craftsman band saw with kreg fence for 200 bucks which seems really cheap- looks like he hardley ever used it. Cant find much info on the net as far as reviews and i know that sears discontinued the saw itself. is it worth it? He also has a crafstman cabinet style (pro series) table saw with beismeyer fence he is offering for 300 bucks- I didnt mention the set of stairs all this stuff needs to go up!!! Both saw are approx 5 to 6 years old tops. Any opinions?

What part of the world do you live in jimmy?