Greene and Greene tsuba tables.

nikbrown

I was looking through Darrell Peart's book again the other night and got to thinking.... He orients the grain so that the grain is short ways.

extension_table.jpg

and then he borderes it all with thicker stock except the center where the two halves meet. So where does the wood expansion happen? Obviously it looks like it would happen in the center... but the side rails wont expand near as much as the center "pannel". I would think that would cause all sorts of gap problems in the center. Anyone know how he solves this?

I was looking through Darrell Peart's book again the other night and got to thinking.... He orients the grain so that the grain is short ways.

extension_table.jpg

and then he borderes it all with thicker stock except the center where the two halves meet. So where does the wood expansion happen? Obviously it looks like it would happen in the center... but the side rails wont expand near as much as the center "pannel". I would think that would cause all sorts of gap problems in the center. Anyone know how he solves this?

Good eye! It got you looking at the table, and asking questions - That's great, because you're able to spot what could be a mistake in design.

There are two solutions for the grain orientation on this table:

The first, as mentioned already, is that the main top is veneer fixxed to a stable substrate. If I were building this table, I would use MDF for the substrate.

The second solution is explosion - If the center panel is solid wood, the table will explode.

I'd put my money on solution 1

-Gregory

I've taken a class from Darrell where he talked about how he does his veneer tops. He uses a product that has a plywood core, with a thin MDF layer on both sides. This product has the advantage of plywood for using mechanical fasters and joinery, but also the advantages of MDF for flatness, for veneering. I'll try to find my notes on the product name.

Mike

extension_table.jpg

Hi Nik,

As others have guessed it is a veneered top (1/16" veneer) with a j-core substrate ( ply with 1/16" mdf faces). It would be bad construction to use a solid core for a top that has a captured solid edging - something would eventually explode. The grain is oriented in the short direction so the leaves will blend in.

Hi Nik,

As others have guessed it is a veneered top (1/16" veneer) with a j-core substrate ( ply with 1/16" mdf faces). It would be bad construction to use a solid core for a top that has a captured solid edging - something would eventually explode. The grain is oriented in the short direction so the leaves will blend in.

Gotta love it when you ask a question about a masters piece, and it is answered by the master himself. Thanks Darrell.