New Tool Setup

jmmcches

Good afternoon, fellow woodworkers! I thought I would start up a thread on resources for setting up new tools.

I just made a deal to purchase a nearly new Jet 18" bandsaw, an older Delta DJ20 8" Jointer, an older Powermatic model 15 planer, and a 16 1/2" Delta drill press for a very good price. Everything's in pretty good shape, but once I move it into my shop, I will need to set things up and make sure it's all calibrated.

I didn't see a topic on this, so I thought it would be awesome to collect some resources for learning how to setup tools in one thread.

Here are the links I have from the Whisperer on the tablesaw, jointer, and bandsaw. Does anyone have some good articles or videos for the planer, drill press, or drum sander, or any other tool that needs periodic calibration?

Bandsaw Setup

Tablesaw Setup Part 1

Tablesaw Setup Part 2

Jointer Setup

I know there are other sites out there with more information. I will try to post anything I find that might be useful to anyone. You can also find these particular articles on the Wood Whisperer's site under videos.

I really appreciate any contributions anyone else has, as I could use any help I can get setting up my new tools, especially the planer.

Thanks!

Well, first thing to do with that older planer is change the oil :) No, seriously, bet it wasn't changed.

Back on Forum 1.0, I had posted a long babble about calibrating your drum sander the easy way. Coincidentally, Marc did the same thing the same weekend (great minds thi... okay, i got lucky!) I thought he documented it, but I can't find it. If yours needs calibration, maybe I can retype what I did back then. Maybe I'm asleep this morning, but you mentioned wanting a drum sander clip, but you didn't list a model; do you already have one? Likely calibration of a Performax is different than a Delta since the thickness setting is considerably different.

I don't know any articles off hand for powermatic planers. Depending on how the planer is put together you may need adjust the rollers to be a specific height in relation to the cuttinghead. You should download a copy of your planers owners manual. That should tell you what you need to know. You will almost certainly need to sharpen the knives on your planer. This can be done yourself if you are really good with sharpening stones (or have the appropriate equipment). But I send mine out to a local sharpening company. I don't mind sharpening my jointer knives myself, but planer knives are twice as long and exponentially more of a pain to get perfectly flat. As for installing the knives, my advice would be to buy a jig to help you with that as well.

As for the drill press. To be perfectly honest I am not sure what there is to do there. The only thing I know of to test is to make sure your drill bits are perpendicular to your table. After that you are good to go. If the drill press is old it may need to be oiled or greased depending on the model, and if it is 15+ years old and saw a lot of use it may need new bearings.

I would love to see a writeup on setting/calibrating a drum sander! I purchased a used Laguna 16/32 that I need to dial in and use soon.

I run a piece and keep adjust until I get it calibrating equally across the width. Once it is, adjust the scale on the drum sander to where you've finally gotten the calibrator equidistant. Btw, I use 80 grit to do that...and still run it two passes to be sure, since my Delta is cantilevered.